Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot drag and drop from AE to AME in Mavericks.

Oct 27, 2013 6:44 PM

Just upgraded to Mavericks and patched AE to work.

But cannot drag Comps from the project window to the AME Queue.

I can add via the + but it's very slow to load.

Any Ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to prowl

Dragging comps from the Project panel in AE CC to AME's Queue panel is successful for me on Mac OS X 10.9.

Make sure that your AE project has been saved at least once. If the project is unsaved, there is no reference on disk for AME to use. There is a bug that AME does not produce an error message in this case, so it might appear as if nothing has happened.

We have fixed this behavior in the soon-to-be-released After Effects CC (12.1) update, so that you are not required to save the project first. AE will create a temp file for an unsaved project and send it to AME. More detail on the 12.1 update is here:

http://adobe.ly/AE_CC_12dot1_details

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to prowl

Does the Add To Adobe Media Encoder Queue command (in the Composition menu) work?

I would check the permissions on the folder the project file is in, and make sure that write access is allowed for Everyone. AE will write temp files into the project directory (into a folder named [project name]_AME) when you send a comp to AME. There have been reports that folder permissions are set incorrectly after upgrading to 10.9, preventing AE from writing or modifying files that worked fine in the previous OS.

Other miscellaneous troubleshooting off the top of my head:

• Create a new project, make a comp, save, and drag to AME. Does that work?
    • Move your project to a different folder or drive. Now does it work?
    • Make a copy of your project file. Now does it work?
    • Trash the preferences for AE and/or AME.
    • Does dragging your AE project file from Finder into AME work?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to prowl

Glad to hear you've resolved it. Sorry about the hiccup there.

I reproduced the problem with having an ampersand (&) character in the file path, and filed the bug. It also applies to the less-than (<) character. I wasn't able to dig up any others. It's a very curious bug because it's only those characters, and only applies when the comp is dragged from AE to AME; adding the comp to the AME queue by other methods (the Add To AME Queue command in AE, or choosing the project from AME) does not result in this bug. In any case, good find, and thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points