Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to speed up brushes?

Oct 27, 2013 10:31 PM

hello, I'm running an older system (WinXP 32-bit, 4 gigs of DDR2 RAM (733 mhz), lots of hard drive space (more than 1TB), 1-gig video card (ATI Radeon 4xxx series), 3GHZ intel dual-core processor, Photoshop CS5

I do a lot of painting, and some of the brushes I have are a lot slower than others. Example- some brushes produce almost no lag, while others produce severe lag. (The slower brushes tend to have a lot of settings in the brush panel such as texture, scattering, dual brush, etc)

I'm planning to upgrade my system soon - I'm considering 8 gigs of DDR3 Ram (2400mhz),  a 3.4GHZ i5 quad-core processor, an upgraded ASUS motherboard, and probably stick with the remaining hardware for now. I'll eventually move on to 16GB of RAM. I will also be using a 64-bit version of XP and maybe even go up to Windows 7 64-bit (If I can set aside the time for all the headaches that come with something new like this)

My question is, with an improved system like this, would I expect to see the lag drop significantly on these slow brushes? Or is it just the brush itself which is slow and an improved system will have no impact? I do very little in the way of filters, 95% of my workflow is pure painting with a variety of brushes and not too many layers for the most part (usually less than 50 and closer to 10 on average). So my main concern is trying to remove the slowdown when painting.

Thanks for any advice...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 27, 2013 11:34 PM   in reply to boo radley 2013

Classical brushes are processor-centric, hence a faster processor would make them faster. On the otehr hand of course blender brushes use hardware acceleration and may benefit from a better graphics hardware as may many other functions. And by all means your planned "system upgrade" makes zero sense with Win XP, no matter what flavor. It's hoplessly outdated and most drivers for it will be, too, resulting in performance loss again and a million quirks. Just get over it and get Win 7 or Win 8/ 8.1.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to Mylenium

What Mylenium said.  You're beating you head against a wall with XP.  Also there were a lot of improvements with the brush engine in CS6.  If you do a lot of brush work you should consider upgrading to at least CS6. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points