Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Rendering/Exporting Overheating ASUS

Oct 27, 2013 9:47 PM

Tags: #overheating #over-heating #cpu_overheat

Okay getting completely irritated with these issues of overheating when I even just am rendering a video to get ready for export (and also on exporting)

Computer Specs:

Windows 8 64-bit

System Model CM1855

BIOS 0802

AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor (8CPUS), 3.1GHz

Memory 8192MB RAM

Page File 2211MB used 7100avail

DirectX 11 Version

I have tried setting power controls to the CPU to 80% but using SpeedFan I can see the CPU usage still spiking 90%-98% and heating just keeps rising and rising til shutdown.

Idle CPU

speedfan idle.png

Rendering Usage in Balanced Power Settings

speedfan rendering.png

Rendering Usage in High Power Settings

highpowerrendering.pngPowerOptions.png

I really suck at understanding these things.  But changing from Balanced to High Power didnt seem to affect the rendering times.  But also the time was down at like 20-40 minutes before I started messing with the power controls now its at over 2 hours.

Finished a small render with success but it got pretty hot again and Norton pops up saying High CPU usage by PPro.  100% was hit quite a bit too.

renderhigh.png

If someone could help me out I have 2 wedding videos to get completed.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 27, 2013 10:02 PM   in reply to SokesFilms

Try using set affinity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpX98T8eYuI

I've used it for overheating and it works fine. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 11:03 PM   in reply to SokesFilms

Untick processors 1,3,5,7 for Adobe Premiere or Adobe Encoder, whichever is using the most CPU cycles.

Now only 1/2 of your processors are working.  That should lower your internal temperature a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to SokesFilms

What brand/model CPU cooler do you have, and when is the last time you opened your case and "carefully" vacumed the dust out?

I never have CPU heat problems (link http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694 includes a link to the computer I built) but I DO have a good CPU cooler and a case with 2 side fans blowing air directly onto the motherboard

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to SokesFilms

Adobe Media Encoder. It launches when you export from Premiere via the Queue command. The render that you're performing is handled within Premiere Pro's process.

It's not necessary to pre-render within Premiere prior to exporting. Rendering helps with exporting only if you enable the Use Previews, and that's recommended only in a few special cases.

Perhaps if you tell us a bit about your sequence, we can advise as to whether it's expected that the CPU would be working so hard.

• What are the sequence's video dimensions & timebase and the Video Preview settings? (a screenshot of the Sequence Settings dialog will fill in all these blanks)
    • Does your content match the settings?
    • What effects are applied to clips in the sequence?
    • Does the sequence contain a lot of nested or multicam sequences?

Also, on the hardware side, what graphics card is installed? Does it support GPU acceleration, and is that option enabled (File>ProjectSettings>General>Renderer)?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

>what graphics card is installed?

According to what I found via Google, the ASUS CM1855 has AMD CPU and AMD GPU, but he mentions CC so his GPU "may" allow hardware acceleration (I found several configurations under that model, so not really sure if his GPU has enough memory for hardware acceleration)

As far as his comment "weird that Adobe makes it overheat and Vegas supposedly does not" that would be similar to saying "it's odd that my Chevy oil filter won't fit my Ford truck" where the two programs do things differently (at least that is my opinion)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 5:04 PM   in reply to SokesFilms

Change your warning settings.  There's nothing wrong with 64C.  Mine regularly gets to over 80C and has for years without issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 5:58 PM   in reply to SokesFilms

I bought a fan specifically to aim air at the intake of my PC.  It reduced the temp significantly. Of course, all that really means is that I should have more fans in my case, but the external fan works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 6:04 PM   in reply to SokesFilms

No it hits 88C then turns off

OK, that is a bit hot.  You will likely need to get better cooling.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points