Skip navigation
Brandconnect
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot open EPS files in illustrator

Oct 27, 2013 9:38 PM

I am running illustrator CS6 16.0.4 on an iMac (new). I get the following error when trying to open some EPS files "can't open this illustrator file. the file was generated with a newer version of illustrator and cannot be opened. Please resave in a format compatible with your version of illustrator". As far as I can see I am running the latest version of illustrator and have updated everything that is available. I am having to get the files resaved in older versions to open

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 27, 2013 10:17 PM   in reply to Brandconnect

The latest version is not AI CS6 v16, it is AI CC v17.

BTW you should not use EPS at all anymore with the Creative Suite or Cloud, use AI or PDF instead, because EPS does not support transparancy nor color management, both important factors in today's files.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 10:31 PM   in reply to Brandconnect

You have to buy it on the Creative Cloud. http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

You should also consider to change your logo management, because EPS is outdated. PDF and AI are also vector formats, but in better conditions.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 10:45 PM   in reply to Brandconnect

Version 17 is only available in the Creative Cloud. If you have to use that version you will have to subscribe!

Your customers should also learn that EPS is not a modern file type which is causing a lot of problems in the further workflow. Even with simple files without transparency EPS can cause workflow problems with InDesign. (E.g. Ink manager)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 11:59 PM   in reply to Brandconnect

It is not not a question if we like Adobe's marketing modell. But if you work professionally with a software you should be able to afford it. If some small company or single designer cannot upgrade to CC, I understand it, but a company? If you need only AI, then you can jumo in into the CC for Illustrator only. Amd of ypi make money with clients which are working with CC you will have to upgrade anyway.

And yes, it is a problem, that many designers stick with old formats, like EPS or PostScript. I cannot understand why? I don't see any advantage. Anyone who creates an AI file will have to keep this file anyway, why to create a copy in EPS? To waste disk space?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 12:18 AM   in reply to Brandconnect

In Germany is Adobe much more expensive than it Australia. And when you buy it in countries with higher taxes inside Europe, like Austria, you have to pay even more. Adobe tells us always it's the localization, but the price of the UK version is the same here and the German versions had always less functionality like the US or English versions, missing manual, no Kuler in several Illustrator versions, less online services. So be happy, you get in Australia more content for less price than in Europe.Yes, US have better prices anyway, it is a cheap country.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 2:04 AM   in reply to Brandconnect

Create a new file in your version of Illustrator and then place the EPS.

And read this:

http://rwillustrator.blogspot.de/2006/11/whats-in-file.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 5:27 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

I am a professional in business. We bought cs 6 to solve eps importproblems last year. Illustator can not open eps files anymore now? (cant open newer versions). Wherefor did I payed € 2500, -? . Its very bad  to work with a professional package and no eps opens from other (uprofessional) customers! Thay cant make a pdf from a eps. We work with clients and inport for over more than 2000 .eps files a year. So we have to look aroud for other software, because there is no solution in illustrator?!!?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to Dennis3000

Am 26.11.2013 um 14:27 schrieb Dennis3000:

Its very bad  to work with a professional package and no eps opens from other (uprofessional) customers! Thay cant make a pdf from a eps. We work with clients and inport for over more than 2000 .eps files a year.

exactly which software created these EPS?

exactly what happens instead of opening the files? any error message?

Normally it's not a problem to open an EPS. But EPS is a format that can be created by practically any software and it can contain practically anything (doesn't need to be vector paths).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Yes, EPS can also be a pixel file or something. most of the eps files can be changed or opened in Illustrator. But sometimes... i dont know what happens.

In this case, the customer does not know by wich software it's made.

But it is possible to import in photoshop or indesign, so the information is in the file. Photoshap ask me the format in px. I can make it as big as i want. But, if my customers ask me to change the logo (in illustrator), or use a part of it for some things else(like a backgroud e.c.), then i have a problem. I have to make a copleet new logo! This customer does not have a pfd, ai, ps or else.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to Dennis3000

What exactly do you do with the file?

What exactly does Illustrator do instead of opening it?

Can you create a new file and place the other file into it? Embed it

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to Dennis3000

Can you convert this file in Adobe Distiller to a PDF? If Yes, is it a vector or something else.

Does the PDF file info then give you some mor information.

If you open the EPS in a text editor (use a copy of the file), do you find any information of the creator programme of that file? Or any hint which might help you?

Or is this only a file with an .EPS extension but in reality it is omething else and only someone has exchanged the extension? (Sometimes people think that exchanging the extension converts a file. i know some who do so.)

If you open in Adobe Bridge the folder where this file is saved, does Bridge give you some helpful information?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2013 1:07 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

in notepad the header it looks normal:

%%LanguageLevel: 2

%%DocumentData: Clean7Bit

%ADOBeginClientInjection: DocumentHeader "AI11EPS"

%%AI8_CreatorVersion: 17.0.0

%AI9_PrintingDataBegin

%ADO_BuildNumber: Adobe Illustrator(R) 17.0.0 x256

In Bridge the thumnail is ok, iit information is EPSF  windows

I can open it in Photoshop

I can open it in Indesign

I can import it in illustrator

Changing the extention in ai, ps, pfd does not work.

But i can not open it in Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2013 1:16 AM   in reply to Dennis3000

But!!!!!!

I forgot to try the Distiller option!

And it works! It becoms a .pdf, and i can also change the .pdf into a .eps. It opens in Illustrator!

Thank you very much Willi!  Good Job!

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2013 1:58 AM   in reply to Dennis3000

Dennis3000 wrote:

%%AI8_CreatorVersion: 17.0.0

Of course you can't open this in CS6, because it's a CC file. But why do you do all this distilling and converting?

If you just place and embed the file into a new file, you'll get the same (maybe even a little less flattening), but a lot easier.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2013 2:11 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Yes, Monika!   You are right!

Even better. I didnt know the button Embed!

Excuse for not paying attention. It is mutch easier!!!

Thank you!

Dennis

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points