Skip navigation
emily.kate.
Currently Being Moderated

I can't get my image to move!!

Oct 27, 2013 8:07 PM

I'm making an ad for a class and it provides the template and images for me.

In the lab book, it says if the image doesn't move then I must send it to the back, use the selction tool, and then move it. But the image won't budge! The donut shows up and everything.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 27, 2013 8:21 PM   in reply to emily.kate.

When you hover other the donut you'll see the cursor change to a hand. If you click you will move the image (not the frame that contains the image). If you hover away from the donut your cursor is a black arrow (selection tool) and if you click you will move the frame and the image inside.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to emily.kate.

Donut? Book? Lab book? Image? For the class? Make a border?

Can anybody else than Ellis home understand this mumbo-jumbo?

Let me guess: With "move my image" you mean an object, that is placed where? Normal page or master page?

Is it perhaps locked? If you click and try to move the object frame in preview mode, do you see a padlock on the frame? If so, unlock it.

With "donut" you mean the marker that appears in the middle when hovering over objects? This can be switched off, since it causes more trouble than being useful.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to emily.kate.

If part of the image is being cropped off it means you are moving or sizing the image independent of the frame. The Content Grabber (donut) is a convenience for positioning the image inside the frame, but cannot be used to position the frame itself. If yo are sizing the image without the frame resizing it implies that you have either chosen the Direct Select tool (white arrow) instead of the Selection Tool (black arrow), OR you have double-clicked the object to modify the content without actually changing tools (another convenience, but confusing) and double-clicking again should get you back to selecting the frame. Watch the color of the bounding box of the selection. If it's the frame it will have the color assigned to the layer (for a single layer file this is typically cyan) and if it is content it will be some other color (typically brown for a single-layer file).

Remember that the donut is for moving the image inside the frame, not for moving the frame, so if you want to reposition the image on the page it is important NOT to grab the donut.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 5:25 AM   in reply to Doc Maik

Doc,

If you don't understand what the user is saying in the post, please either remain silent or ask politely for clarification.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 6:27 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

Doc,

If you don't understand what the user is saying in the post, please either remain silent or ask politely for clarification.

I did with "Can anybody else than Ellis home understand this mumbo-jumbo?". I don't see any impolite in this question.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to Doc Maik

Doc, we all have been beginners at some point. I understand perfectly the problem the OP is having because I dealt with the darn "donut" at some point. Hopefully with all the useful information given so far, she will be able to figure it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 6:31 AM   in reply to Doc Maik

Mumbo jumbo doesn't fall into the category of polite request for clarification, nor was it addressed to the OP.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 6:45 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

That's your opinion, Peter. I see it differently. People here, including me, are just trying to help. But the threadstarters also need to learn to ask clear questions, so people can understand. This doesn't work if you never contradict and say like "stop mumbling, talk clearly". This is like with babies. Else they'll never learn.

Not everyone around here is american and intuitively gets synonyms like "donut". We are still talking about a software, not food.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to Doc Maik

I understand that you are trying to help, but you must remember that you are speaking to inexperienced users . I also understand that your native language is German, and that your native speech patterns are different from those in English, but if you want to write in English you need to make an effort to be sure you are  welcoming, not offputting. Calling a post mumbo jumbo is in fact quite insulting, and I nearly reported you as abusive.

You have been very helpful over the last few months, and I do appreciate that, but over the last few days some of your comments have crossed the line. If, as froum moderator, I feel you are responding inappropriately in the future I will take action to remove your content.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points