Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign files lost

Oct 28, 2013 1:16 AM

I have just lost ALL my InDesign files from my computer AND my external backup hard drive along with every other file in the same folder and sub-folders. I have taken my computer to two technicians but neither has been successful in recovering any of my files. I have lost three years of work on a book I was doing for a friend along with some 900 JPEG files that have been individually restored from old photographs.

Has ANYONE else experienced such a calamity with InDesign?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2013 2:47 AM   in reply to Neil Hamilton Mansfield

You seem to be sure Indesign is to blame. Why?

Depending on your OS, which you don't mention, it can happen that folders get deleted by accident, but not at the same time on your HDD and the backup drive.

ID does not manage backups, so either you or your backup tool must have done something wrong.

If none of the files could be recovered, which is very unlikely, then either a bad virus must have wiped them or a wipe tool you used. Else at least some files should be restored, unless they got deleted and the former HDD space was overwritten with other files.

A tip for the future: store sensitive data on non-erasable media like DVD-R.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 5:21 AM   in reply to Neil Hamilton Mansfield

Neil,

There is absolutely nothing in any Adobe software, including InDesign, that deletes files other than explicitly requesting the deletion of a particular file via Bridge. As far as InDesign is concerned, it is indeed conceivable, but not likely, that if InDesign “crashed” with a document open while the InDesign was updating the document, that the particular document file could be lost – but even that is unlikely. And such crashes would not delete all directories containing .INDD files.

From what you describe in the story about authorizing Google Chrome to be loaded as your “new browser” and the weirdness that occurred immediately afterwards, it almost sounds like what you thought was a browser installation was really the installation of some very nasty malware on your system or the triggering of a function of such malware that was already installed.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to Neil Hamilton Mansfield

If it's Windows Vista you could try

right click in folder

Properties

Previous Versions

Vista creates shadow copies as backups.

I agree with the others - seems like you were hit with a virus.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 5:23 PM   in reply to Neil Hamilton Mansfield

There are data recovery services if you have not mucked about with the drives. Expect it to cost. Years ago, I used these people:

http://www.diskdoctors.com/data-recovery.asp

And I have also gone through Seagate (the drive manufacturer). Both recovered some valuable files and the cost, while expensive, was worth it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 6:27 PM   in reply to MW Design

Not that it will fix what's already lost but this might help in the future:

http://boblevine.us/why-i-always-save-files-in-dropbox-and-why-you-sho uld-to

o/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points