Skip navigation
Stu_IGNUK
Currently Being Moderated

Audio lost after saving

Oct 28, 2013 5:22 AM

Ok, this has happened twice in two sessions.  I record audio, about an hours worth, in Audition's multitrack utlising one track only being fed from a Yamaha MG166c-USB desk.   I then stop recording, save the project on a local drive.  Shut the machine down, come back to edit the next day.  Open up the project and BAM - tells me 1 of 1 the files referenced by the session cannot be found.  So I hit 'link media', go to the track and that's where I find the saved track is 0 bytes. Nothing of any use in any temp files anywhere, even scanning the drive with undelete software reveals nothing.  Can anyone shed any light on why this might be happening?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to Stu_IGNUK

May I ask what version of Audition you're using?

The reason for my question is that, for quite a few versions now, Audition hasn't used temp files in Multitrack mode.  Instead, all the recent ones go direct to whatever file you've specified and don't need to be saved after the recording.  I haven't thought through the details but, if you haven't set up a session and file name then hit save after the fact it wouldn't surprise me if it causes trouble.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Bob Howes wrote:

I haven't thought through the details but, if you haven't set up a session and file name then hit save after the fact it wouldn't surprise me if it causes trouble.

Gives trouble before you get that far! It won't let you record at all unless you've done that. So if you are having difficulties, I suspect that it isn't an Audition problem.

If you are resaving the project onto a drive which isn't referenced in the session file, then yes, it won't find it upon re-opening the session. But it has to be a resave you're doing; chances are that the original file in the location you specified would open fine.

What you need to try is recording the file to the second location directly as you make it. Then, when the session is reopened, it will know where to find it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points