Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Advice on SEO

Oct 28, 2013 5:27 AM

Hi All,

I need some advice. I would like to learn how to make the websites that i have developed appear as far up Google and other search engine listings as possible. There are many different courses around for SEO training but how do you know which is the best to go with? I have looked into one course which is supposed to teach SEO to an advanced level but what puts me off is its only a 1 day course, can you really teach this to an advanced level in one day? If so, is it really necessary to pay nearly £1000 for a days course or is this something i could learn through tutorials online?

I would appreciate any advice anyone has on this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2013 5:35 AM   in reply to Ness_quick

1. All the other search engines follow Google, so focus on that one.

2. Set up a webmaster account on Google and add your site so that it'll be indexed quickly.

3. Add keyword/locale rich content to your page title (keeping length to 75 or fewer characters).

4. Use semantic markup on the page to leverage your keyword rice page missions (e.g., <h1> etc.).

5. Have a hierarchy of <h#> tags with only a single <h1> per page. Make each subordinate tag also contain keywords. Maintain the <h#> tags' readability and relevance to the current page.

6. Keep the most mission critical information 'above the fold'.

7. Add a meaningful meta description to each page (keeping length <= 175 characters).

8. Use keywords in filenames and in tag attributes as much as possible while still maintaining the sense of the attribute value.

9. Develop a folder hierarchy for your site's pages so that links to those pages will contain a sensible 'path' that also contains keywords.

There - I've saved you oodles of money.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 6:33 AM   in reply to Ness_quick

I would steer well clear of anyone offering to teach you SEO in a day for 1k, that's just rip off.

Murray has just about outlined what you need to do to give your sites a chance of climbing up the Google rankings.

Nothing is guaranteed, Google works in mysterious ways. In my opinion it's a bit hit and miss as to whether your site will be ranked highly or not.

Local sites are far easier to get ranked highly than sites which are national. People will usually type in Funeral Directors Berkshire to find a local service. If someone dies in Berkshire you are hardly going to require the services of a Funeral Director based in Inverness. The more localised the service the easier it is to get ranked.

Get listed on as many good associated websites as possible such as -  National Assocaition of Funeral Directors if you are a member or SAIF National Association of Independent and Allied Funeral Directors, Golden Charter Funeral Plans if you offer them etc. These are all recognised bodies whose sites already rank highly. A link from their site to yours will enhance the possiblilty that Google will think your site is worth listing higher up the order.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to osgood_

Get listed on as many good associated websites as possible such as -  National Assocaition of Funeral Directors if you are a member or SAIF National Association of Independent and Allied Funeral Directors, Golden Charter Funeral Plans if you offer them etc. These are all recognised bodies whose sites already rank highly. A link from their site to yours will enhance the possiblilty that Google will think your site is worth listing higher up the order.

This is a very good point and one which I completely overlooked. The impact of a backlink on a highly trafficked site is quite large. In addition to that, you might consider starting a blog on your site (which seems a bit creepy to me) but having information change frequently is manna to Google, and the possibility of backlinks from people sharing your blog posts is large.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to Ness_quick

Ness_quick wrote:

Also they mentioned that if the curser turns into a hand when it hovers on the nav bar, that will help google view the site differently.

Um, what?

Were any of the salesmen for this company named  Big Tony? Maybe for a few £/month extra, they would keep you, you know, "safe", from the competition?

Looking into yell.com, they appear to be a simple online directory site (very 1990's-esque) with loads of terrible reviews, almost no mid range reviews and a handful of "this site is awesome (likely written by the company itself)".

I would just walk away from them and save money for something useful, like a screen door for the company submarine, or a solar panel for your flashlights so you can use them without batteries.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 7:28 AM   in reply to Ness_quick

Ness_quick wrote:

Great thank you ever so much both of you. That gives me a lot to work on.

The thing is my boss has recently had a meeting with yell.com and for £1000/month (ONLY! ) they will supply code to place onto our site that will bring it right up the listings. So i've now been asked to look into SEO to see if i can learn how to do the same thing, which will save a lot each month even if i have to do a course it will be much cheaper in the long run.

Also they mentioned that if the curser turns into a hand when it hovers on the nav bar, that will help google view the site differently. But how would i achieve this?

That's complete and utter dribble by Yell, they will tell you anything to get money out of you. They know funeral directors rake in big bucks  and hike up their prices accordingly. As I say people will search for Funeral Director Surrey or Funeral Directors Essex. You will have little to no trouble getting your site to appear in the Google rankings near top of page or top of page if you reference the location a few times in the text.

What's the point in appearing No1 in Google with the search phrase 'Funeral Directors' if the person who's searching is in Aberdeen and is arranging a funeral for someone who has died in Aberdeen or Penzance, pointless.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to osgood_

1000 pound a MONTH? I'll do it for 500!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to Ness_quick

Don't throw 1K down the sewer.  Put it to work by purchasing some Google Keyword Ads for your local area.    IMO, focused Google Ad Campaigns are a necessary part of doing business.  It puts you at or near the top on local searches and it doesn't cost an arm & leg the way print, radio & TV ads do. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points