Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support

Oct 28, 2013 7:19 AM

Tags: #scaling #windows #ui #retina #hidpi #8.1 #3200x1800

Hi,  I am currently running the latest CC apps on a Windows 7 machine and am currently looking to upgrade my PC hardware, I have my eye on either the new Dell XPS15 with Haswell CPU/HiDPI screen (3200x1800 resolution) or the equivalent new Dell Precision m3800 when available in November with identical specs.  After testing a number Windows 8/8.1 systems over the last few days with Photoshop CC (14.1.2) It appears that Adobe has still yet to implement retina style UI scaling for any of it's CC apps for the Windows platform. They all seem to default to a predefined pixel font size. Potentially making Photoshop and other apps unusable on a 3200x1800 15.6" laptop screen if they do not scale like their Mac counterparts.  Can anyone confirm or elaborate on whether this feature exists for Adobe products on Windows yet, if it ever will or when it will become available in the near future?  Thanks

Replies 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2013 11:12 AM   in reply to middlep1

Windows doesn't have Retina style scaling APIs yet, and has some problems in the existing attempt at scaling UIs.

We are continuing to work with Microsoft on the scaling problems, but don't have a solution for Windows yet.

Photoshop does have UI font scaling, but no way to scale the icons and other UI elements on Windows at this time.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 4:47 PM   in reply to middlep1

Microsoft is getting closer, but isn't there just yet.

Again, we are continuing to work with Microsoft to address the scaling issues on Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to middlep1

I've already said all I can say.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

That's really sad. I got a new laptop specifically for Adobe CC, thinking that if any company would do HiDPI support right, certainly it's gotta be Adobe. The CC suite is 75% of the reason I wanted a HiDPI display to begin with, but you can't even give us any sort of ETA except someday, maybe, if we're lucky?

How come MS Office, Firefox, Chrome, can do it but Adobe with its vast resources can't even give a timeframe? You already have all the high-res assets from the OSX/Retina side, no?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to arcataroger

Again, we're continuing to work with Microsoft on the scaling problems in Windows.

We, and they, recognize that the existing attempts to offer scalable UI have serious issues.

And no, we can't commit to a timeframe for a long list of reasons.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2013 6:58 AM   in reply to middlep1

Well I wish I knew this, because I have the new XPS 15 w 3200x1800 and Photoshop CC and Ai CC are completely unusable because the UI is microscopic. I will have to return this machine now.

dell-xps-15-3200x1800-photoshop-cc.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2013 9:21 PM   in reply to Mattymon

I've got the XPS 15, as well.    Photoshop UI elements at QHD+ 1800p native resolution are tiny, but usable.    Not at all optimal, however.   Dreamweaver is pretty-much unusable.   Running the display at half-res works ok, but that defeats the purpose of a hi-dpi display.

Question:  If updating Photoshop (Dreamweaver, Premiere, etc.) for Windows high dpi is so difficult for Adobe, then how is it that Lightroom 5 has perfect Windows hi-dpi scaling?    Lightroom looks great and works flawlessly on the XPS 15 at full QHD+, scaled to 200%.    Possible to get someone from the Lightroom team to share the secret with the rest of Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to p0gue

I received a Dell XPS 15 late last week.

These are the CC Apps that work fine on the QHD+ with 200% scaling: LightRoom 5, Muse, InDesign and InCopy.

These are the CC Apps that I have installed that do not scale correctly: Photoshop, Premier, After Effects, Speed Grade, Media Encoder, Dreamweaver, Illustrator and Fireworks.

The Creative Cloud utility is a mixed bag: Home and Behance do not scale, Apps, Files, and Fonts do.

Interestingly I installed DxO Optics Pro 9 after all the Adobe products. After installation, a dialog box showed up on the status bar, but I could not get it to display. I rebooted and amazingly, all Adobe products and the DxO product scaled perfectly. The Desktop screen of Windows 8.1 did not scale correctly and was set to Smaller (100%). When I reset it to 200% the Adobe products listed as not scaling correctly above resumed that behavior. Setting the scaling back to 100% did not change the display of these products.

I am also using a Dell 30-inch monitor. The apps that do not scale correctly also do not scale correctly on this 2560 x 1600 display. The same apps running on Windows 8.1 from a Dell XPS 17 (3-years old) scale correctly on the larger monitor.

From these observed behaviors, I am wondering if a Registry entry has the wrong information?

Chris, I hope you will pass these observations along to your development teams.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to suzicloud

For those that wish to use an external monitor with the XPS 15 Touch, you may change the following settings so that all the Adobe scales correctly on the external monitor:

Select the Settings charm

Select Control Panel

In the Control Panel view by icons select Display

Select "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays"

Choose Smaller - 100%

Then select Screen Resolution

Under Multiple displays select Show Desktop only on 2

No all Adobe products will display correctly on the external monitor.

To use the laptop display, you need to reset scaling back to 200%

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 8:05 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hi Chris,

I'm very interested in an ETA on this. Even it's just 'this quarter'.

I pay for Photoshop CC as part of my CC subscription, and this is a necassary fix for me to be abe to operate as I need to when on te go.

I understand that Microsoft may not have provided the documentaion early enough for you to finish the work, but Windows 8.1 is out now, and this is a real issue that's affecting customers in non-beta environments.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 11:51 PM   in reply to mrmckeb

It's indeed a bit ridiculous in this day and age that professional software cannot deal properly with higher ppi screens. Adobe sofware is not the only culprit out there.

Blender 3D comes with a custom ppi screen setting in its preferences, and allows the user to adjust the overall GUI size interactively. And that is open source software!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2013 12:54 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I hope this is resolved sooner then later and I am just adding my feedback as the more complain the faster things will happen...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 10:13 AM   in reply to tkacid

I posted information about how to use an external monitor earlier.

Here is my solution for both the Dell XPS 15 Touch display and the external monitor, until Adobe and Microsoft resolve this issue.

Dell XPS 15 Touch display:

Search and launch the Control Panel then select Display

Select "Adjust resolution" and lower the resolution to half the native resolution of the display:  1600 x 900

Go up one level and set scaling at 100% (this screen will look huge until you perform this action)

You will have to log out and in again.

All Adobe, Autodesk and Microsoft products display perfectly.

You may get an "Optimal Resolution Warning" when you launch certain applications. To keep this from happening, simply check the box for "Do No Show Again".

Hopefully, Adobe and Microsoft will resolve this issue soon and then we can go back to the native resolution of the laptop display.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to middlep1

I'll add to this too.  Initial requests for this date back as far as January?  It was done in a matter of weeks for Apple OS and its currently a massive secret regarding windows?

Unimpressed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2013 7:09 PM   in reply to suzicloud

I'm using a 30" external monitor (2560x1600), with a high dpi laptop (3200x1800) and had the same problem with Photoshop 5.5 being micro scaled on both the laptop (expected), and my enternal monitor (unexpected). The following tip got it to scale correctly at least on my external monitor.

Windows 8.1

- Right-click on your Photoshop shortcut (you may have to create one on your desktop).

- Click "Properties."

- Select the "Compatibility" tab.

- Check the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box.

- Click "OK"

This got it to stop microscaleing on my external monitor. Though it's still tiny on my high-dpi laptop which makes sense.

While this might not apply to those without external monitors, I hope that helps someone who comes across this.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Just adding my voice as someone who wants UI scaling more than new filters or other goodies. As you work with Microsoft on this, it would be good to remind them that Apple products look more and more attactive as Microsoft keeps fumbling around with with their toy desktop.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to middlep1

So does this mean that those of us who are not subscribers will never see a fix for this issue?

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,918 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Dec 3, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to noliegirl

noliegirl wrote:

So does this mean that those of us who are not subscribers will never see a fix for this issue?

CS6 with all the updates will support Retina displays.

If and when a similar fix comes along for Windows, I kind of doubt that will be available for CS6, but that is just a guess

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I also would like to see an usable scaling for Photoshop CC since owning a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.

As a developer I know myself things can be hard but as a Lightroom user I see it's more than possible to provide a program which handles High DPI well.

Please provide us a fix - even if it's dirty and not everything is polished to the max. Communicate it and make it a option in the dialog or something else. And please, keep us informed about the progress. We care about our money and use PS on great hardware!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to ralfe89

A fix or eta on something sure would be nice. Just dropped $1200 on a new Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and everything works but certain Adobe products that I pay for and use daily. I have two weeks to return the laptop but if I can't use it for what is needed I'll probably be returning it this week.

How is it a Microsoft problem when some of the CC apps work fine such as Lightroom?

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,918 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Dec 8, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to LukeM

I paid US$2400 for an MSI GT70 not so long ago, but I thoroughly researched if it was the right tool for the job.  If you buy a 13 inch 3200 x 1800 laptop (or whatever they call it) wouldn't you consider the implications of such a high dpi on so small a screen before parting with your dollars?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2013 9:11 PM   in reply to middlep1

+1 for scaling problems. I'm using CC and Lightroom 5 on an ATIV Book 9+ and the text is barely legible. Almost all of my non-Adobe software works just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to middlep1

Here, the same problem with a Lenove Yoga 2 Pro and Photoshop CC.

I have to put the resolution 2048x1152 and 150%

This works for now reasonable.

I would like to see a solution to work with a 3200x1800 resolution.

Like it should!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 2:19 AM   in reply to middlep1

I'm going to weigh in to also express my annoyance and disappointment that Adobe cannot seem to manage the task of supporting high DPI scaling. I'm running a Dell XPS 15 Haswell (3200 x 1800 px display), and Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Bridge, etc simply are not useable, however almost every single other piece of non-Adobe software that I have installed on the device has scaled without problem. The screen is gorgeous, and increadibly sharp, and I think it is a huge shame that Adobe products cannot take full advantage of this. I am only able to use Adobe products when connected to a standard HD external monitor.
    As far as I'm concerned, Adobe owes paying customers a solution. With 4K screens on the up and coming in 2014, Adobe had better hurry up with it because people simply won't be able to use the software with many of the new computers that will soon be a minimum of QHD/QHD+.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to suzicloud

I have the dell m3800 but when i set the resolution to 1600x900 the screen is all blurry, does anybody else have this problem? Illustrator cs 5 is scaled btw so i used it, draw a 45° line turned off antialias artwork and took macro-screenshot:

bluriness.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to Herr K. aus Berlin

The display is blurry because you're using your screen at a non-native resolution and it's just doubling the pixels without adding more visual information. It's like upsampling in Photoshop with a non-smoothing algorithm. Even with a better algorithm some amount of blurring is unavoiable because you're telling the computer to use half the resolution, blown up 2x, to cover your entire screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2013 4:53 AM   in reply to middlep1

I can only hope that there is actually somebody working on this rather than spending all our hard earned on minor camera release updates...

I wonder if we can have a class action for the eyesight issues caused by straining to see tiny icons

Hint:  Even a comment on this thread with progress would be nice!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2013 6:08 AM   in reply to Cheers Big Ears

Dont be unfair. There was this after effects CS6 Update which fixed an issue with the spanish version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to Herr K. aus Berlin

I concur with what has been said, it is a disgrace on the part of Adobe to invest so little for such a pressing matter.

Many applications scale very well with Windows 8.1, including a few of Adobe.

In addition, not having vector UI elements that scale is so 1990 and highly distasteful from the market leader in vector tools.

It simply shows how many years Adobe has been living on super fat upgrade prices for very little additional features and next to no in-depth improvements.

My experience with the new Dell XPS 15 3200x1800, which is truly an outstanding laptop in its own right, for CS6 work:

don't bother for Illustrator, after effects, premiere.

It isn't optimal for Photoshop but I personnally use much less dialogbox based addons.

Knowing all keyboard shortcuts becomes almost mandatory.

InDesign scales perfectly, as well as Lightroom 5.2

So my advice is to pressure Adobe into giving a timetable of when the situation will be resolved and plan purchasing a laptop at this time.

My advice for Adobe would be to start taking the Indesign/Lightroom team to teach the old guard how things are done.

If you want to buy a laptop with super high resolution now, and again many applications work very well as is under Windows 8.1, be prepared to work with a non super high resolution external monitor for Adobe work. If you don't like this solution I recommend postponing the laptop purchase, as you would be disappointed for what are in effet amazing laptops. Or purchase them with a 1920x1080 resolution and with the sparred money buy a high res external monitor when the time comes.

Update

There is a potential mitigating workaround, but you'll have to test it to see if it's for you or not.

Use the Windows magnifier ( 'Windows Key' + 'plus key') to zoom in, set it on magnifying glass mode (not full screen mode) in the drop down or with ctrl-alt-L

Optionally, you may want to adjust the size of the zoomed window to taste with ctrl-alt-R, then move the mouse to resize and click to set. I find that a wide rectange works well fo rme.

When not needed any more either use Windows key + minus key to zoom out or press Windows + Esc to close the Windows magnifier.

Note that Windows+ minus doesn't work on my laptop, it works only with the minus of the numeric keypad. But Win + Esc is a working alternative.

I find the magnifier of tremendous help with Adobe's tiny ui elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to middlep1

Would also like to express some urgent support for high resolution displays, for a software giant specilaising in graphics and display I find it unacceptable this has not been forseen or supported as of yet!
    I have a good collection of software and most of them seem to run without a hitch on a QHD display on windows 8.1 the adobe CC suite is definately lagging behind.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to Diamonite

Please read the earlier replies in this topic.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 3:47 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Yeah, we did.  2 months ago.  No more news?  Like maybe developments or progress on the timeless, though already solved by thousands of others, problem of making icons bigger?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I appreciate that you are working on it. But, I am paying every month now for software that is basically unusable on my new top-of-the-line Windows 8.1 ultrabook. This is a very frustrating situation. It would just be helpful to have some idea of the time frame within which we could expect a solution.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,918 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Dec 19, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to SouthDallas40

SouthDallas40 wrote:

I appreciate that you are working on it. But, I am paying every month now for software that is basically unusable on my new top-of-the-line Windows 8.1 ultrabook. This is a very frustrating situation. It would just be helpful to have some idea of the time frame within which we could expect a solution.

Why on earth did you buy a tiny laptop with such a high dpi display, and expect to use it with Photoshop?  That is just crazy.  Photoshop is what it is, and from a dpi point of view, always has been.  It's not like they suddenly made the UI way smaller.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

It shouldn't matter what type of laptop you use, if you are paying $40+ a month for a peice of software you have to expect that a large company such as adobe should be able to support your device, no matter what screen size. It's not the users fault it's adobe's fault.  Come on, if adobe can do it for the mac why can't they do it for windows? No excuse.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,918 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Dec 19, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to LukeW

LukeW wrote:

It shouldn't matter what type of laptop you use, if you are paying $40+ a month for a peice of software you have to expect that a large company such as adobe should be able to support your device, no matter what screen size. It's not the users fault it's adobe's fault.  Come on, if adobe can do it for the mac why can't they do it for windows? No excuse.

Why?  Should Adobe make Photoshop CC run on old DOS hardware?  Or on an early Kindle?  Or cheap tablet with an 800 x 600 display? Of course not.   Would you expect your old diesel truck to run on petrol?  If I want to tighten nuts and bolts I go out and but a spanner, and NOT a screw driver.  It is not rocket science.  Just plain common sense.

Adobe - via Chris Cox - has explained several times that the problem is related to Microsoft, and more dificult to do than with Apple Retina displays.

So you get a high dpi fix for your 13 inch ultrabook.  What is the UI going to look like?

Hmmm...  I'm loving those big icons, but where do I put the actual image? 

Ultrabook.jpg

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (4)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points