Skip navigation
ultimo
Currently Being Moderated

Copy paste text between documents bug

Oct 28, 2013 8:01 AM

Tags: #copy_paste #indesign_cs6 #wrong_language #text_changes #indesign_cc

Hi

When I copy paste styled text (text or text containers) between CS6 (or CC) documents, the language for the text changes to a wrong one (from Finnish to English: British), along with the spelling of course. The style does follow correctly to the fresh new document, but ID makes an exception to the style for this pasted text (Style1+). The transferred style itself still has the correct language defined.

Doesn't happen when copy pasting within the same document.

All default languages are correct (default and within styles). Deleting preferences did nothing.

Anyone else has this? Any suggestions on how to correct this. I seem to remember there was something like this ages ago too.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to ultimo

You need to reset the default language in the new file before you commence pasting. Most likely the styles are either using [Basic Paragraph] or are based on it if the language is changing, so edit the [Basic Paragraph] style in the new file and in the Advanced Character Formats section change the Language dropdown to Finnish.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to ultimo

What language do you see in the control panel with the text tool selected, but no text selected?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to ultimo

Are you patched to 8.0.2? This sounds like perhaps a bug.

You can try trashing the prefs and see if it makes a difference: see Replace Your Preferences

You can also use Find/Change to remove the overrides. Look for each style and reapply it, or look for UK English and assign Finnish (a less attactive option, I think).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to ultimo

Well, if you have a lot of local overrides you want to keep (as opposed to applied character styles, which would be preserved by simply reasserting the paragraph styles), then using find/change with the language set to find UK English and change to Finnish might actually be the simplest thing.

And I'd file a bug on this at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

We haven't had lots of reports of anything similar, but perhaps it's language specific to Finnish, and we don't have a lot of Finnish users posting.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to ultimo

Just a thought, are you using any third party plugins?

And what's your OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 3:18 PM   in reply to ultimo

Just for fun, remove the suitcase plugin temporarily and see what happens. It would also be instructive to see if the same thing happens to a new user.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 11:50 PM   in reply to ultimo

@ultimo – maybe you could try a different thing (this is no solution, not even  a workaround, merely a test):

Instead of copy/paste, just export an IDMS file (an InDesign snippet) and drag it to the page or place it between the two versions of InDesign. Do any strange things happen then?

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to ultimo

At this point I think it's screaming bug. Put all the above summary in the bug report.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 29, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to ultimo

I've occasionally seen odd language problems. I finally wrote an AppleScript to ensure all of the text and styles in a doc were set to the language I wanted. Here it is for Finnish, it might help.

Here's a link to a compiled version:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/AllFinnish.zip

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

set pstyles to all paragraph styles of active document

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in pstyles

try

set applied language of item i of pstyles to "Finnish"

end try

end repeat

set cstyles to all character styles of active document

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in cstyles

try

set applied language of item i of cstyles to "Finnish"

end try

end repeat

set applied language of every paragraph of every story of active document to "Finnish"

end tell

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points