Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

MXF export with audio problems

Oct 28, 2013 10:57 AM

Hi!

At the brodcast station that I work we recently upgrade to premiere CC. Our workflow are almost XDCAM files (MXF) and whe an edition is finished we export to MXF to play out or copy to XDCAM disc.

Recently I have a multi camera project and everything works perfect but when I export to an MXF file the sound as a "blank frame" in sound. The concert as an hour and twenty minutes and at the fisrt second

theres is that little "cut" in sound that doesn't exist in timeline.

I tryed various ways to export and everytime I got this frame in the same place. I also export timelines with 2 minutes from other projects, more simple, and always I got a "blank frame" somewhere in audio.

Tryed to export with 2 channels, 8 channels, stereo timeline multichannel timeline and everything result in a MXF in this audio issue.

Anyone already detect this exporting to MXFs, any sugestion to resolve this problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2013 6:02 PM   in reply to FAMS

I just ran a short test with stereo output to both XDCAM EX and XDCAM HD.  Both worked fine.  In addition, I've not had any issues with the AVC-I or DNxHD MXF files I've created.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to FAMS

Just tested both IMX 30 and 50 PAL presets and both worked fine.

What are you using to play back fhe files?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to FAMS

I'm also not seeing anything so far stands that out as a possible cause.

As a test, export the timeline to some other format, creating an Intermediate file.  Then bring that Intermediate back into PP and export to MXF from that.  Same problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 7:26 PM   in reply to FAMS

Yes I can confirm this is an issue with us aswell. I noticed this a few months back and did a post also did alerted Adobe that this is a bug. I have ended up using adobe cs6 to output to this format as MXF is all they use in NZ for TV Commercial playout. The issue consistantly comes up at 1 sec into the audio production and I have had others comment that they get the same issue. It was after we did an update. One of our computers recently got fixed and we reinstalled adobe premiere cs 6 and also cc onto it. The issue also has come about in the cs6 update. Which i'm concerned about since we now can't update any of our cs 6 version incase this glitch leaves us with no editing suite to export using this.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to FAMS

What happens if you bring that WAV file back into PP, put it on the timeline and create the MXF from that?

I wouldn't necessarily wait for Adobe to solve this one.  It's not a commonly reported problem around here, and I can't reproduce it, which means Adobe may not even have it logged as a bug.  It could just be a system issue for a few people.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to FAMS

It's a major issue, cs6 version 6.0.3 is fine, 6.0.5 is stuffed up.The upgrade we did in CC is stuffed up. Its definitly a bug as we are seeing the issue come up with media uploads. I did do a detail report of the bug to adobe but i dont know where that has got to. I have advise the media uploading company about this issue down here in nz and aussie and to keep an eye out since this is our main format now getting it to station. What version of cs 6 are u using Jim? Try the update, this happens no matter what i do, i have tried almost everything

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to norok65

Logged in with my other profile here is my previous link which you already commented on jim so I think that might be the issue seen for the above comment: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5645157#5645157

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to korU

I just did another test using 6.0.5 and do hear a very brief audio dropout.  My testing in this thread has been with CC, originally 7.0.1 and just now again with 7.1, and my MXF exports have been fine in all tests, including IMX30 PAL.

So that begs the question, have you guys using CC updated, or are you using the original 7.0 release?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to FAMS

I'd like some more info:

1) does it happen if you disable the smart rendering option?

2) where specifically is the dropout relative to the original material?  Is it always close to a cutpoint?  If you change the cutpoint, does it move the same relative distance?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 5:39 PM   in reply to norok65

I have ended up using adobe cs6 to output to this format as MXF is all they use in NZ for TV Commercial playout

Absolutely not true!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to FAMS

For 1), I was talking about under the video options for XDCAMHD, there's a checkbox for smart rendering that's now enabled by default. 

Are you using the MXF OP1a format for export?  If so, what preset?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to FAMS

I just tried & can't repro.  I created a sweeping sine wave file going from 20 Hz to 20 kHz via Audition's tone generator, imported into PPro.  Threw it into an HD 25 fps timeline, added a counting leader.  Exported to MXF Op1a using IMX 50 Pal preset.  The audio is pristine throughout the export.

(This is with the latest 7.1 CC release)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to Wil Renczes

Same here.  No issues with 7.0.1. or the newest 7.1.  Only 6.0.5 shows the error on my end.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to FAMS

Im also experiencing this problem.  This is really screwing me up because i need to have commercials on air and I keep getting the problem everyone here is describing!!!  todays gonna suck!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to FAMS

I tracked it down: you're correct, this is an issue that was fixed in 7.1.  (Bug # 3628065).  We had fixed a bug in the 7.0 where sometimes exports would have a truncated video frame at the end of the file, but it introduced this issue where audio could be sent to the muxer before it was ready to be written.  It only manifested itself with IMX formats.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Wil Renczes

That explains why my other 7.0.1 tests worked fine.  I didn't test the IMX until after the update to 7.1.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points