Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Unreal, simply unreal

Oct 28, 2013 12:33 PM

Few software applications make me mad, fewer still make me mad enough to vent on a community forum.  Adobe  Acrobat is the exception.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't acrobat the primary tool for creating and editing PDF's?   If so then why is doing something as simple as removing or adding an image so stupidly hard to figure out how to do?

I am using Adobe Acrobat X (at a cost of over $400).  I have loaded up a PDF that I would like to edit.  I can select an image and when I right click on it I can copy or "save as" the image just fine.  But please for the love of god tell me why the developers did not put a "remove" option in the right click context menu.  I am a programmer and I know a lot of programmers.  It seems to me that some committee had to have a meeting and go a long way out of their way to specifically tell the programmers to NOT put that option in.  In makes no sense at all expect to piss off users.

But not only is "remove image" or "insert image" not in some handy to find location.  It isn't ANYWHERE as far as I can tell.  So please tell me what kind of "PDF EDITOR" is Acrobat if I can not insert an image in my document?  It boggles my weak mind.

In addition to ranting I would also like an answer to this simple question if anyone knows.

How do I insert or remove an image??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to lonecrow

Use Edit Content. You can remove images with that like other content. Adding is another story. But you can use the same tool to copy/paste from another PDF. Yes, Acrobat isn't much of an editor. It's a desperate last resort for when the original is lost and no amount of begging or restoring will get it back.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to lonecrow

Also, Acrobat XI Pro has much better editing capabilities than X. You can try the free trial version and see for yourself...

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,673 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Oct 28, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to lonecrow

Another way to add an image that will work with Acrobat Standard (I'm assuming that's what you're using) it to create a button, don't use any background or border color, and set its layout to "Icon only". You can then specify any image (or other type of content) as the icon and resize/move/etc. so it appears as you want. You should set it to be read-only and perhaps flatten it so it is no longer a button but part of the regular page contents.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to lonecrow

You have a basic (but common) misconception about Acrobat. It's not a "PDF editor" in the sense that Photoshop is an "image editor" or Word is a "documents editor".

PDF files were not meant to be edited at all at this level after you create them. The fact that Acrobat does offer such editing tools is a "bonus" and should only be used as a last resort.

Basically, once you've created a PDF if you want to edit its underlying content you need to go back to the original file format, edit it there, and then create a new PDF. You can then use the Replace Pages command in Acrobat to preserve any fields, annotations, links, etc. that you've created in the old version.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to lonecrow

I didn't claim it was an intentional "feature" of PDF files. Your'e probably right, it's simply a by-product of the way the files are created and of their complex structure.

With Acrobat XI Pro removing an image (in most cases) is very simple. Go to Tools - Content Editing and select "Edit Text & Images". Select the image object and press Delete.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,673 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Oct 28, 2013 9:38 PM   in reply to lonecrow

FWIW, you've been able to delete images since Acrobat 6 Professional (2003) and place images since Acrobat 8 Professional (2007).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 1:07 AM   in reply to George Johnson

Why ruin a good rant with boring facts? ...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points