Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Data Merge and the new Pages

Oct 28, 2013 6:20 PM

I recently bought a new computer.  With the purchase of my new computer I no longer have Microsoft Office for Mac on my computer.  All I have to use is Pages, Numbers and Keynote.  I learned how to create an Excel file and save it as a tab delimited doc and then use if as a data source for a data merge.  I tried the same steps using Numbers but it doesn't work so nicely.  Can you use Numbers instead of Excel or am i just up a creek without a paddle since I no longer have the Microsoft software?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2013 9:58 PM   in reply to Huskerfan29

It could be that Pages is saving extra data along with what you assume is a normal tab-delimited text file. Try opening one up in a text editor and comparing it to a sample from Word (if you have one from before, that is).

I don't know anything about Pages, but there are other programs you could try that wouldn't cost as much as Office, if that's the issue. A Google search will turn up some options there. By the way, is there a reason your copy of Office won't work on the new computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 12:04 AM   in reply to Huskerfan29

@Don't know if that will work; just something you could do:

Open the tab-delimited text file in TextEdit and resave it as txt file with Unicode (UTF-16).

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to Laubender

I recall some previous thread about this, and the problem was the encoding...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to Huskerfan29

You should be able to use Open Office without issue for this - it's an open source application very similar to Microsoft Office. This is what I use all the time for data merging and opening Excel files. Just be sure to save the file as either .txt or .csv.

http://www.openoffice.org/

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to Huskerfan29

Encoding is how the file is structured. There are a number of different encodings possible for .csv files, and my recollection is that Numbers uses one that ID cannot read.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 11:13 PM   in reply to Huskerfan29

Huskerfan29 wrote:

I just tried to place a pages document into a text frame into ID and couldn't do that either.

Although it should be expected that if a program can output something like a text file, that text file should work with other programs that use text files, I don't think you should expect the same for native formatted files. For example, I used to do music typesetting, and both of the top programs (think of them as the InDesign and Quark of music typesetting) could save or export as several graphic formats that could be placed into a page layout program. That's great, but you can't place the type of files that either music program can read natively. The fact that you can place a Word file directly, without having to save it as .txt, .rtf or other formats is great, but I expect that it has everything to do with how common Word is. Maybe there will be an Adobe or third-party solution to placing native Pages files in the future, but I wouldn't let it bother me today.

By the way, have you tried opening the tab-delimited files that Pages exports in a text editor and saving them as plain text? If you have a Mac, you can use TextEdit. Just open the file and choose Make Plain Text from the Format window and save-as with another name. I'd be more than a little surprised if Windows doesn't have something similar.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points