Skip navigation
adaretpdx
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CC keeps freezing up after a few minutes

Oct 28, 2013 6:10 PM

I have never experienced this before but when I start using Bridge, the memory slowly declines until no memory is available. It is locking up on me and then I have to reboot it.

I held down the Option Key and restarted Bridge and purged the cache files but I am still having problems.

I am using a Macbook Pro with 8 gigs of RAM.

Mavericks was recently added to this computer so I don't know if this is the problem or not.

It is a new issue and I wonder if someone has a solution.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2013 7:29 PM   in reply to adaretpdx

THis is a new one.  Can you tell what is taking the resources?  Building cache is the only active thing going on in Bridge.  Unless you have some unfinished batch project going on.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 29, 2013 3:47 AM   in reply to Curt Y

And how much free space is left on your Mac?

Did you check activity monitor for the memory, like Curt asked, what other apps where taking resources at the same time?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 29, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to adaretpdx

Registry cleaner programs clean bad files, but can, and do, zap good files also.  MacSweeper is known for this.  You might want to uninstall bridge CC, run the Adobe Cloud Script Cleaner, then reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 29, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Couldn't agree more with Curt.

And you still have not answered about disk size and free space left.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 29, 2013 3:13 PM   in reply to adaretpdx

Otherwise Omke, I hope I have answered your question in enough detail to satifsy you.

No, not really…

The purpose for asking about both disk size and free space is to determine the percentage of the free space. In case of an SSD forget about it but in case of a HDD rethink this because for correct functioning you need at least 10 to 15 % free space as the bare minimum.

120 GB may sound a lot but in fact when using a 1 TB disk this is only about 12 % free. In case of a 2 TB disk you are really in trouble for accurate usage of power consuming apps like PS and Bridge.

And in case of having a high amount of fragmentation means a lot of work to find space for writing data on the disk. OSX has its own defragmentation running automatically but that is only affecting files smaller then 20 MB, all sizes above can get scattered around the disk and causing slow down operation and serious problems when there is not enough free space.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 29, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to adaretpdx

Space should be sufficient for this moment.

I'm still on 10.8 and currently mainly use SSD (something to consider as upgrade, reasonable cheap and lightning fast…) so fragmentation is not bothering me that much. Still have to do some more research but SSD has no moving parts therefor no problem in retrieving data from all places very fast instead of a needle racing around on a moving disk to collect all data hence a different approach in case of fragmentation, also the free space rule is not so rigid on an SSD.

Don't know if the obvious defrag apps also support 10.9 but search for Disk Warrior, Desktop Tools Pro and Drive Genius. For maintenance consider Cocktail, a very cheap but excellent application that can run on a daily schedule repairing permissions and clearing caches.

Also keep in mind that Bridge can be very precise when it comes to good working user account. The slightest problems can cause strange behavior.

Instead of the sweepers and cleaners consider the use of the Recovery disk that comes with the new MacOS (used to be Archive and Install prior to 10.7) to refresh your user account. But whatever you do, make sure you have a good a back up of files and important settings etc.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points