Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Color picker in Dreamweaver CC

Oct 28, 2013 6:25 PM

I just used the color picker in Dreamweaver CC for the first time.

The preset swatches are gone.

So how users are supposed to set colors now: remember a specific value and type it every time? (Save for 14 swatches that can be saved manually).

I'm sure there are some new useful features in the new picker, but for the simple tasks it looks like a major step back .

Obviously I'm not a power user.

So if there are simple ways to set colors or if I'm missing something - any suggestions would be apreciated.

Thanks,

Leo

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 29, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to leo.r

I don't think you're missing anything, the old hex color swatch pallet is gone.

There's really no need to force yourself to stick to the old "web safe" colors anymore. There isn't a monitor on the market with less that millions of colors, so holding to the hex colors is artificially limiting your designs.

I usually find my colors number settings (rgb normally) by using the Photoshop color picker, then add those settings in DW to get the same colors as my design.

A lot of people will place the colors used for a given site within comments at the top of their css, like this...

/* Dark Blue = rgb(7,1,147) */

/* Light Blue = rgb(151,147,240) */

That way you can always look to the top of your file to see what the settings are for that particular site. It's a change in workflow, but it is very handy especially if you ditch the CSS Designer and code your css by hand.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

Color codes in CSS comments is a very good tip.

I also use my trusty ColorPic tool from Iconico to create swatch palettes.  I keep this open on top of DW and just copy & paste codes.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 11:20 PM   in reply to leo.r

@leo.r :

You can save upto 13 swatches in the color picker itself

Colorpicker.png

Notice the + icon on the top right , You need to choose a color and click on it to save a color swatch

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 1:38 AM   in reply to vharis

This new colour picker is amazingly counter intuitive. There is no way to "accept" a colour you have chosen. It took me ages to work out that you just click completely outside the app box and it will set the value in your code. There's no tool hint about doing that and it is hardly obvious! One effect of that non standard interface design is that you can accidentlaly accept a colour and have to start again, or launching the little painter pallette icon which comes up when your type "background: " for example sometimes closes itself immediately unless you double click without any mouse moevement whatever. Very frustrating and time wasting. Also the value box on the lower left is not editable. What I often want to do is set an existing colour in known HEX values and then explore lighter or darker shades along that area of the pallette. I'm sure it was better in the previous version. Why the backward step in terms of usability?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to leo.r

leo.r wrote:

Thanks vharris,

Yes I knew about that.

I hope a more powerfulk and user-friendly swatch palette will be implemented at some point.

Leo

You can submit an official request here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

If enough people ask for it, Adobe may just add one in.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2014 8:02 AM   in reply to leo.r

I also am annoyed by this new picker.

Not so much in itself, but more in the fact that it's given as an only option.

How hard would it have been to simply have the option to switch between the different types of pickers?

Just hope Adobe is not falling into the "We know what you need better than you do" attitude.

Sent a an official request to Adobe to have the option to pick my picker.

M.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2014 8:07 AM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

Yeah,

Color swatches do limit your creativity ...

that's why they are only available in non-creative tools like Photoshop and Fireworks.

M.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2014 10:03 AM   in reply to Sylogique

Dreamweaver is not a creative tool. Lets get the option back in for the basic color swatch. I am holding off downloading Fireworks CC as I use the basic color pallet a lot for basic "non-creative" work. I would think color creativity does not start with a picker, more it would use tools like Kuler.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points