Skip navigation
swaleyboy
Currently Being Moderated

Whats the best way to achieve this design?

Oct 29, 2013 5:18 AM

typobag.jpg

Hi guys, I'm looking to replicate the above typographical design using illustrator and as a newbie would like to know what would be the best way to tackle this. I know how to add text to shapes but find its very regimented and not as random as the text above, also can you change fonts, size & colours when adding text to shapes? any help would be fantastic.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 29, 2013 5:25 AM   in reply to swaleyboy

if there's one thing that should die a death soon it's designs relying on a load of different typefaces thoughtlessly slapped together.

but if you really must it's probably best to keep each word separate and place them by eye, rather than having them all inhabiting a shape. it's not 'random'; you're making a composition here, and judging yourself what fits best where.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to swaleyboy

I think you are overthinking

If you question is "What is the fastest way to recreate this image with vectors?" The answer is using the Type Tool, type the phrases as separate objects using different fonts and colors matching the image, then arrange them like in the image.

If you question is "Which fonts, sizes, colors, and their arrangement will make the best typographic artwork?" it is like asking "what to create to make the best artwork?" The answer is create whatever you like and let's hope the viewers will think it is the best thing they've ever seen

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 11:59 AM   in reply to swaleyboy

Ask yourself “Would I really like a handbag like that?”

If the answer is “Yes” the answer is handwork and a good eye with lots of separate type objects and lots of silly fonts.

If the answer is “No” you are probably wasting your time and would do better to think again.

And you’ve probably guessed what answer you would get from me.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to swaleyboy

Crowding words together like shown in your sample was a fad and popular in some parts of the world.

There were and there are scripts and some online generators that make things like that.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 7:37 PM   in reply to swaleyboy

What's your objective?  Is this a class assignment or something someone sent you and told you to recreate?  Do you have to match it exactly?  I see the biggest challenge is having the necessary fonts on hand.  Then sizing and matching the usage ( i.e., horizontal scale, letterspacing, etc. ).  If the above is a bitmap file, use it as a template and draw over it on a separate layer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points