Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Appending metadata (instead of overwriting it) with template?

Oct 29, 2013 7:45 AM

Tags: #update #metadata #overwrite #append #iptc_core

We have thousands of images we had a student intern tag with IPTC Core metadata.  Some of what he did is good, for instance, his titles and captions are spot on.  But some things, like Creator fields and copyright status are all over the place (my fault for not saying exactly what we wanted in those fields).  I've created a metadata template in Bridge with just those fields I want to update and standardize checked, and things like caption and title left unchecked (image of template).  I had hoped that when I applied it to his images, just those fields I had checked would have their information overwritten and those that were left unchecked would be left unaltered.  Instead what I'm finding is that the ones I've checked are being updated like I want, but the ones left unchecked are being changed to blank entries.  Not good, in fact, that's bad, as it represents a whole lot of work down the drain.  Fortunately I made a copy of the images the student updated and have been experimenting on the copies, so nothing is lost yet, but I'm no closer to solving the problem.  Is there a way to do this, or do I need to do them one at a time?  Thanks for any insight you can give!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 29, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to Matthew Clara

Not the best person to answer this as don't use the template.  However, I vagley remember something about a non-intutive way to enter fields.  Might google bridge templates and see how to enter a field to obtain a blank entry.

Omke will probably have a better answer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 29, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to Matthew Clara

I think what you want is Bridge Tools>Replace Metadata then select your template that contains data only in the fields you wish to update-replace.  Metadata in other fields should be unchanged.  I think your template as you've described it should work for this.

Test on a couple of your files, of course, to be sure I'm correct here (I haven't used this Bridge function recently).

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 29, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to Matthew Clara

Being a bit late on this discussion I'm not sure I understand the problem quit clear.

As far as I understand reading the posts you need to fill in some fields that are left open. And knowing a template would do the trick for you to fill these empty fields what is wrong with selecting all the files you need the changes for in Bridge and fill those empty fields yourself in the metadata panel.

The fields with filled metadata that differ will show ' multiple values', the fields that show info are for all files the same and the empty fields have no data at all.

You can use bridge preferences metadata to show or not show certain fields or all fields and also deselect the option to hide empty fields to have all available IPTC fields at hand.

Just write what you want and hit OK. Then be sure to let Bridge save the data completely to all the selected files (watch the activity monitor bottom left) and you are done.

Or did I indeed completely misunderstood your problem?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points