Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Serious problems in Illustrator CC with OSX Mavericks: Open, Place and Save windows don't stay open

Oct 30, 2013 7:08 AM

Tags: #illustrator #bug #place_image #illustrator_cc #mavericks #open_file_problem #mavericks_compatibility #mavericks_osx #place_image_in_illustrator_problem #place_image_problem

I just upgraded to OSX Mavericks. After that, Illustrator started acting up. When I try to save or open a file, or place an image, the command window opens just for a second or two then closes right away. Even the Save shortcut doesn't work. I've saved the file a few times using Command-S, when I was closing it I got a warning that I had to save it. Of course, I couldn't save it using Save As or Save commands because their windows wouldn't stay open, so I had to just close it. When I opened it again, it was an older version; Illustrator just ignored my last two or three saves.

I tried restarting the computer and relaunching Illustrator, nothing worked. The problem was worse when I have InDesign open too. But just quitting InDesign didn’t always work. This morning, I had to quit and relaunch both InDesign and Illustrator a few times before the problem temporarily disappeared.

I think it might also be worth mentioning that I use Apple Trackpad, and my computer is brand new.

Is anyone else having similar problems? Any help is appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 30, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to A…

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5784598#5784598

Yes, other people are having this problem. I don't know if there is a solution yet. Search for Mavericks in the forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to A…

I am having exactly the same problem after upgrading OSX Mavericks. My photoshop won't launch says there is a programme error, can't open or place anything in illustrator, similar problems in indesign. My mac is 3 months old and I have been a member of Creative cloud for 2 months now. Please help me I am trying to run a design business and can't work on any of my files!!! Anyone else found a solution to this problem or experiencing the same thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to A…

Same issue here.  Ran disk utility and repaired permissions, no luck after restart.

Window to export opens and shuts.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 3:13 AM   in reply to A…

Hi,

When the save dialog box opens, quickly try switching to List or Icon view. There seems to be an issue with the Cover Flow view (the one that looks like iTunes album covers).

This worked for me.

Hope Adobe get this fixed quickly.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 1:54 AM   in reply to A…

Please see if the issue goes away after changing the finder "Item arrangement button" to value other than "None" or by changing the "Finder window view button" to any value other than "Cover flow view". The finder window options needs to be changed after opening the finder window from Illustrator (i.e. file - open/save). Refer the link @ http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2470 for details about the finder window options.

Thanks,

Satinder

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to Satinder S Bains

Just spent a very, very long with tech support with no resolve .... It was a coverflow issue. The second I changed the view, Illustrator's save, place and open started working again. Thanks for the suggestion.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points