Skip navigation
Frank N Lawton
Currently Being Moderated

How can I edit text in a copy of a document on my home PC?

Oct 30, 2013 2:48 PM

A document created in Acrobat XI Std is on the server in the office.  I had the document emailed to me which I downloaded to my home PC.

I cannot edit existing text or images in the downloaded document.

I can do the following to the downloaded document:

Add new text boxes and images

Delete existing text boxes and images

Move existing text boxes and images within the document

Copy existing text boxes and images from the downloaded document and paste them into another document

Edit new text boxes and images that I've added to the document.

Both the office server and my home PC are running Windows and Acrobat XI Standard.

I've checked security and protection.  These do not apear to be a problem but I'm not absolutely certain.

Why am I unable to edit existing text and images in the downloaded document?

How can i remedy this problem?

PS.  The reverse is true also.  The office cannot edit text and images that I've added to the document.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 30, 2013 7:28 PM   in reply to Frank N Lawton

It sounds like security is being set somehow -- like adding a signature block or such. Anyway, check security first. Then check for anything that might be special in the PDF -- like signature blocks or such.

You should probably consider your work flow. Editing PDFs is not a normally recommended workflow except for small repairs. Anything major should be done in the original document and a new PDF created. Since you did not indicate how the PDF was created, it is not clear why you need to edit the PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 11:03 PM   in reply to Frank N Lawton

As per your question, you are able to perform all the editing operation on the text boxes, but it does not mention anything about text.

Are you able to select the textual content inside a textbox, i.e. after you select the "Edit Text & Images" and see all the boxes?

Are you able to copy and paste the text (not text boxes) to notepad successfully when inside the editing mode?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to Frank N Lawton

Hi Frank,

Sorry to disappoint you but you cannot select or copy or edit the text because there is no text to edit.

The content you see is not text but one of the two:

• an image with text embedded in it (like logo or posters) - try Photoshop.
    • a single or a group of vector objects (bunch of lines or objects forming the shape of the alphabets) - try Illustrator.

The reason for this issue is that the PDF was not created properly by the application used to create it.

Unfortunately, if you want to edit the document as text, you will have to get hold of the source document (the non PDF file).

• Either edit the source doument and recreate the file (helps with the layout) or
    • Create the PDF using better methods so that it contains live texts instead of images and vectors.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to Frank N Lawton

How did you "create" new document in Acrobat? Did you insert a blank page to a document? Or opened a blank file? Or deleted the existing content of the page?

Out of the three things you created above (Text Box, Picture and Images), which of the items are selectable using "Edit Text and Images" Tool?

Which of those item are not editable?

Please note that anything created using the Comment Pane cannot be edited using "Edit Text and Images". To edit them, try the "Select Object" button in the "Interactive Objects" section of the Tools Pane.

Also, as per your statements, you cannot edit the document created in office and the office people cannot edit the document you created.

Does that mean that a same document is editable using one computer but is causing problem when using on another computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Frank N Lawton

Frank,

The "Edit Text & Images" tool can only act on PDF page content.

Any time you use any of the Comment / Markup tools you are placing an "annotation" on the PDF page.
    Annotations *are not" PDF page content. Annotations are a "box", defined by its quad points, that can have its own content and "floats" on the PDF page.  Unless one "flattens" the annotations into the PDF page the "Edit Text and Images" tool cannot access the annotation(s) or their content.

Do note that some  annotations come with a pop-up. When these annots are flattened whatever is in the pop-up is lost.

You have described the placement of annotations. You placed no "PDF page content".
    Acrobat provides tools to "work" annotations and tools to "work" page content.
    The tools' functionality are not the same. The items of interest (annotations / page content) are not the same.

As with anything "PDF" all is made clear (tongue in cheek) by the ISO standard for PDF (ISO 32000-1).

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 2:02 AM   in reply to CtDave

You should consider a change in the workflow at work, as I was suggesting. However, this change needs to be in the creation process itself. Do not try creating the document directly in Acrobat. It may be able to be done, but is a cumbersome process. Acrobat was never designed to be an editor, word processor, or layout package. Use your word processor or other package to create a basic document that you can edit in a normal way (and easily!), then create a PDF from that document. That will not help your current problem of editing the PDF, but should help in your future work flow.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 2:13 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

Perhaps I can add to that. Do you remember Letraset? It was a collection of single letters as transfers. People with time on their hands or no other tools sometimes used them to make posters or publicity. But creating PDF files in Acrobat is like using Letraset when you have a perfectly good typewriter. It is not a good way to make PDFs. Just because it is possible.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points