Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

creation of bookmark (textmark) feature in pdf similar to MsWord's text bookmark feature

Oct 30, 2013 3:36 PM

to my reckoning, pdf has recently introduced yellow highlighting as well as a comments feature in its pdf format, which is a welcome addition.  HOWEVER, a major MAJOR omission is the lack of text referencing (with corresponding labels) which is available with MsWord but not exportable when converting file to pdf.  when it comes to certain forms of e-book publishing, this text labelling feature is a powerful tool that, so far, has not been incorporated into any of the e-book publishing formats.  This is truly unfortunate however, the good news is that Acrobat has gone a certain distance in allowing for text highlighting (yellow shading) but not 'textmarking' (as opposed to page bookmarking per se).  I would STRONGLY recommend ACROBAT to get on this case and allow for a export of such editing features from Word to pdf as par of the standard file conversion process.  If anyone has a comment, please forward directly to my e-mail rpdesbiens@gmail as I am not up to these types of discussion forums....

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 30, 2013 7:20 PM   in reply to robert desbiens

I will let others address the bookmarking in Acrobat that can be done. However, it is a simple matter to transfer the bookmarks from WORD also by using PDF Maker (the Acrobat menu in WORD). That should do what you need, unless your WORD and Acrobat are not compatible.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 2:50 AM   in reply to robert desbiens

Highlighting text and adding comments has been a part of Acrobat (and Reader) for many years now... It's not a recent addition at all, although recently the option to do it in Reader was greatly improved by removing the need to apply special rights to the file in Acrobat before-hand.

Regarding "textmarking": It is possible, to some extent. If you select some text (using the Text Selection Tool) and press Ctrl+B, a new bookmark will be created, with the selected text as its name, pointing to the exact location of the text on the page. True, the text will not be highlighted when you click the bookmark, but it's close enough, I would think.

If you really want the text to be highlighted it could probably be achieved with a script, by the way.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 12:05 AM   in reply to robert desbiens

robert - please stop quoting the original message when replying by email.

see http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3731

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 2:44 AM   in reply to robert desbiens

Reader can't add bookmarks of any type. You need to use Acrobat to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 4:34 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

Reader is not able to do this, but if you pay for Acrobat it can. This is not a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 5:04 AM   in reply to robert desbiens

Were this to be the case, how can

a internet user who downloads a file containing these purported textmarks

activate their use by using the freeware version of Acrobat Reader.

I just want to clarify that you can use bookmarks in Reader (ie, click on them and have the file jump to where they're pointing), but you can't create them in there. The two things are very different.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 12:57 AM   in reply to robert desbiens

I'm not sure I follow your distinction about the type of bookmark, but countless millions of PDFs include bookmarks, and they are made automatically by PDFMaker from Word styles (not Word bookmarks).

Visbility of bookmarks is controlled from the View menu and the tabs running

down the left hand side in both Acrobat and Reader. The creator of a PDF decides if they are visible initially.

Here is just one example.

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdfmark_ reference.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 3:20 AM   in reply to robert desbiens

I think your conclusions are completely wrong. You haven't even looked at a PDF with bookmarks in it, you say, so how can you claim that it's "not on par with what Word already offers"? That's just incorrect. You need to understand that Reader is just that, a READER. It can't edit or create PDF files. The only thing it can do is view them and (in some cases) make comments on them. That's it.

Digital Editions is a whole other thing entirely.

If you want to assess what can be done with PDF files you need to get Acrobat. There's a free 30-day trial version you can install and use. Once you do that you'll see that converting Word bookmarks to PDF ones is very easy, using the PDF Maker plugin for Word, and that bookmarks in a PDF can be moved around, edited, removed, added, etc. in Acrobat.

Until you do that you're just talking without any experience or knowledge on the subject, I'm afraid.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to robert desbiens

It would have been appreciated had you or others in the forum state baldly

from the outset the 'how to' in terms of 'converting' Word bookmarks to

PDF with the PDF Maker plugin.

The assumption, perhaps wrong, is that anyone with Acrobat will already be using this method to make PDFs. There are many ways to use it, from Word, from Acrobat, and from Windows. The biggest control is in Word where you can set options about which Word styles become bookmarks. In all cases, no matter how you start it, Word is used to make the PDF in conjunction with the Acrobat add-in.

I don't spend my life on working out the niceties between this or that e-book reader software:

Yes, but we do. If you don't know the difference, we can help you, but your experiences don't turn one into the other, or make them interchangeable. There are many PDF readers, some made by Adobe, and some made by other people. They don't all have the same features, so we do need to know which one you mean.

Some

other comment mentions that 'millions' of pdf files have bookmarks in them,

yet I have yet to come across one single pdf file the contains that feature

Yes, I mentioned that AND suggested a file to you. Did you take a look? If you don't see the bookmarks, what app is active when you are viewing the file?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to robert desbiens

There is absolutely no reason for you or your technies to read this document (unless they wanted to). I simply gave it as an example of a ready made document (one of millions) which had bookmarks already in it, since you did not seem to be familiar with what they look like.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to robert desbiens

A bookmark can point to any specific location on a page, not just to the page as a whole. It can even contain information about the zoom level at which that location should be displayed when clicked.

A bookmark in a PDF is basically a button. When clicked it can execute a certain action, such as "Go to place X on page Y with zoom level Z", or "Open the web-page: http://www.adobe.com", or "Run the following JavaScript code...", etc. It can do many such actions, or none at all. In that sense it is far more advanced than Word bookmarks.

Also, the fact that a bookmark points to a piece of text on the page which is also the bookmark's name is not a must. It can have a completely different name to what it's pointing to.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to robert desbiens

You are correct that a bookmark is only a link, and not coupled with highlighting. Your suggested "textmark" sounds interesting, but is not what bookmarks do. (And this would require a change to the PDF standard too).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to robert desbiens

I don't know how many times we can say it... PDF bookmarks do not point to text AT ALL. They point to a specific point in the document. That's it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to robert desbiens

I don't know what you mean by "unit"... You realize you're talking to fellow users, right? We're not Adobe employees, unless otherwise mentioned.

There's a separate forum here about Digital Editions. Post any questions you have about that application there.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points