Skip navigation
photoguy397
Currently Being Moderated

How can I view only UNSAVED images/metadata?

Oct 30, 2013 9:08 PM

I rotate photos in bridge, but these metadata changes are not saved to the actual image until saved in Photoshop. If I missed saving a few photos during my initial steps, how will I know which photos still need to be saved if i can only see the modified files? I need to give final images to client and if the changes aren't saved, all the photos will be oriented wronged. is the only way to resave the entire folder with image processor? is there a way to view only unsaved files so only those need to be processed? i don't want to resave files unnecessarily - both for time's sake and for quality sake.  In Lightroom there's an option to save metadata changes to file automatically. And even in Google Picasa, you can just hit save to save all modified files.

It seems there's no save button in Bridge and no way to know which files need to be saved. Can somebody help me out with this please?

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 31, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to photoguy397

It seems there's no save button in Bridge and no way to know which files need to be saved.

There is something wrong with your set up. Image rotation and adding metadata is auto saved the moment you hit enter or go to another file.

Start refreshing preferences by holding down option key (Mac) or Control (Win) while restarting Bridge.

If still no luck provide more details about system version, Bridge version, configuration etc.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 31, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

I think the confusion arises becasue from a past Adobe help file it states "Although Bridge allows you to quickly and easily rotate images, the rotation doesn't really happen until you open the file up in a graphics application such as Adobe Photoshop® or Adobe Illustrator® and save it in it's rotated state. So if you rotated an image in Bridge and then dragged it into Adobe InDesign®, it would appear with its original orientation.

I just rotated an image 180 degrees in Bridge.  In PS it is rotated correctly, but in Windows Explorer it is still in original orientation..

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to photoguy397

Guess you are stuck with a couple of options.  First make sure you have camera oriented correcly when snapping picture.  That is the metadata all programs read.

Bridge saves the rotation metadata, but may not even be on XMP as with a jepg one is not created for such edits.  Not sure how this rotation data is saved when Bridge makes rotation.  You might visit the Bridge script forum and see if they have script to filter out those kinds of files.  If you do find one post the results here so anyone reading this post for similar problems will see a solution.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 31, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to photoguy397

This must be a Windows issue then. I can rotate DNG, PSD or jpg etc. and they open in all cases as I have put them, and they also show in the Finder (kind of explorer but then for Mac) as been rotated in Bridge without opening first in PS and then saved.

Also a Bridge rotated frame opens as rotated in external viewers (except DNG but not many apps can view Raw) without save and editing.

The only file type that has other behavior is a CR2 file, Raw from Canon and not converted to DNG, this does also not show rotated in Finder. But since a CR2 needs exporting or saving before being able to view in other apps I don't think this is what you mean?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 5:18 PM   in reply to photoguy397

Here is an easy solution.  The rotate image shows incorrectly in Windows Explorer, but shows correctly in InfanView.  So have your clients download InfanView, it is free and has many fine featues.  Will open almost any file.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to photoguy397

The answer was provided in post #2, you just chose not to accept it.  There is no "fix", all we can do is provide a workaround.  In case you did not read it here it is again.

From Adobe Help file:  Although Bridge allows you to quickly and easily rotate images, the rotation doesn't really happen until you open the file up in a graphics application such as Adobe Photoshop® or Adobe Illustrator® and save it in it's rotated state. So if you rotated an image in Bridge and then dragged it into Adobe InDesign®, it would appear with its original orientation.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to photoguy397

photoguy397 wrote:

…Dare I say most people have a Windows computer, and many people don't know anything other than Windows Explorer…

Then you dare to speak of stuff you know little about. 

According to data provided at various times by Adobe and Microsoft, sales of the Creative Suite are roughly divided 50/50 between Mac and Windows, with the proportion tilting 60/40 in favor of the Mac from time to time.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 6:52 PM   in reply to photoguy397

Photoshop is a professional level application.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 7:46 PM   in reply to photoguy397

Photoguy397, you're not "losing" me; you're getting lost yourself by not focusing on the fact that Bridge is nothing but a file browser, nothing more and nothing less.

It's not an image editor; it's not meant to manipulate images, not even to open them and not to save them.  It merely hands over the file to the appropriate application, whether that be Photoshop, Camera Raw, Illustrator or even MS Word, to open, manipulate or edit and save.

As a professional, it behooves you to use the profesional level-application  Photoshop to open, manipulate and save the file for your perceived nincompoop client, a term I use solely by inference from your description of your client from your vantage point.

Let's hope your clients are not following you here in this thread. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 1, 2013 2:36 AM   in reply to photoguy397

Workarounds work for me occasionally, but my clients are not going to be made to rely on them. i'll change my workflow so this issue doesn't come up then.

You only need to record an action in PS to be on the save side. If you create two actions for both landscape and portrait and set it to the wanted size and resolution as well as save in a dedicated folder You can use the new conditional option in the acton panel to create a simple If Then to let both actions play automatically.

The only thing you then have to do is select all in Bridge, use menu Tools / Ps / Batch and select the action to end up with correctly saved files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points