Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to integrate Premier Elements 11 with LightRoom 5?

Oct 30, 2013 9:38 PM

Tags: #lightroom #premier #file_management

I've recently learned LightRoom. Now I'm working on learning video editing starting with Premier Elements 11. I also own Photoshop Elements 11.

I see that there is an "Organizer" for manging file in Elements but I could also use LightRoom which I've already use to organize mostly photos but some videos.

I also see that the way to integrate Photoshop Elements is by accessing it as an external editor from LR. i.e. LR remains the main platform from which one works accessing Photoshop Elements when needed. Correct?

Premier Elements is a bit of a different animal though. Premier consists of projects which hold mulitple files and file types. Organizer is built to manage files by project. LR isn't. I'm confused. How am I supposed to use these programs together? Can you explain or point me to a learning resource?

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 31, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to BillyDBrown

BillyDBrown

You may be interested in a recent thread on this type of topic of Premiere Elements and Lightroom

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1288058

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Billy Brown,

I wrote you a reply in the Lightroom Beginner forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5803779#5803779

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to BillyDBrown

Your question here is a little differently worded than the one you posted in the LR beginner forum.

"Organizer is built to manage files by project."  Actually, it is.  You can organize into project collections, project tags or project keywords.

The key for me is to use LR for all of it's highly regarded organizing and photo management abilities.  It also is very good at organizing video clips.  It is even pretty good at very limited video editing of clips.

IMO, the outstanding feature of LR for video editing is the Export as Original function for video clips.  It sends exact, unedited copies of your clips out to where you can work on them in PrE. 

Workflow wise it is not that much different than exporting a photo copy to Photoshop elements, working on it, and putting it back into LR.  The main difference is sending batches of assets to a PrE work area folder.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to BillyDBrown

BillyDBrown

If you are now at the stage where you need to dig into the comparative merits of Lightroom versus Elements Organizer for your specific purposes, I think that you would gain valuable seasoned insights posting that direct question in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum and trying to draw the attention specifically of MicheBParis and/or dj_paige. They are both valuable, well respected members of the Elements community here and elsewhere and whose knowledge is top of the line.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements?view=discussions

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 10:53 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

A.T. Romano wrote:

..... I think that you would gain valuable seasoned insights posting that direct question in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum and trying to draw the attention specifically of MicheBParis and/or dj_paige. They are both valuable, well respected members of the Elements community here and elsewhere and whose knowledge is top of the line.

I'm respected too.  I also am very friendly with LR, PE and PrE.  So, I'll try to answer his questions here.  (Note, I do exactly what he says he wants to do on a regular basis.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to BillyDBrown

BillyDBrown wrote:

Please let me try to break this work flow down into simpler terms for my beginner brain:

1. User LR as main organizer for video and photos. (LR offers the same ability to organize project assets by collection, tags, and keywords plus more.)
    2. Create a project folder in the OS for organizing exported project files to be worked on in PrE.
    3. Export copies of movie files from LR to this folder in orginal or developed condition, my preference.
    4. Import file copies in PrE project to work on them. Render completed project files to hard drive.
    5. From LR, import completed project files rendered by PrE.

Do I have it?

Yes.  You have summarized my work flow nicely.

Under #3 you say "my preference", and it is.  My personal preference with video clips is to only encode once.  If you "develop" clips in Lightroom, the adjustments are only saved by encoding them at export.  The choices are "Original", "DPX" or "H.264".  Only original leaves out any encoding.  I'm not sure, but I think "DPX" may be unusable in PrE.  Since PrE "Publish & Share" has to encode a final output, it will be the second time, and atleast in theory, there is always picture quality degredation in the encoding process. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to BillyDBrown

BillyDBrown wrote:

Related Questions:

1. Do you then advise to forget about Organizer?
    2. Does Organizer do anything LR doesn't do?
    3. If so, is it practical to run both LR and Organizer? (My guess is "no", since that would lead to headaches with broken links in both.)

1.  Yes.  I have set PrE and PE to ignore Organizer. (I gave up on Organizer when I moved from PrE and PE version 10 to 11.  Once or twice I had some minor issues with it.)

2.  Based on past experience, I remember that it does.  As I recall, the version I had would memorize a face and scan for other photos with he same face.  It also had an "analizer" that would crunch it's way through your entire collection and "fix" them.  I think Organizer may be better connected to social media (Facebook) and some cute connections to photo sharing sites.

3.  I don't.  I like Lightroom so well for all it can do with photos, that I completely ignored Organizer. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to BillyDBrown

I did more homework yesterday and found one of my assumptions to be wrong.  It was that Lightroom would not make a video.

It does.  In the Slideshow module it will output a "slideshow" to a few formats including a 1920x1080p30 MP4.  It will mix video clips and still photos that include any LR adjustments.  It will add transitions, add simple title and credit screens and add a sound track. 

I spend more time in the Lightroom and Lightroom beginners forums than here.  I've never seen a thread or question on making a video!  Although our cameras now all have separate shutter and video buttons, photographers and videographers still seem to live in separate places.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Assuming that the different versions of Lightroom have comparable Slideshow Modules, the following 2012 thread is a very detailed and comprehensive first hand account on the Lightroom (4.1) Slideshow module and its video outputs.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72137

The Lightroom increased slideshow duration with the application of transitions generated further interest in that matter during this same 2012 time frame.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72689

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points