Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AE 12.1 all settings and workspaces trashed

Oct 31, 2013 4:05 PM

Just installed 12.1 and found all of my settings have been reset and my workspaces have gone.

Is this by design or is it a bug/problem?

I'm going to try importing some projects to get my valuable workspaces back that I've spent so long refining.

Paul.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 31, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to SiliconPixel

Settings do not migrate from After Effects CC (12.0) to After Effects CC (12.1). I'll post some instructions soon on the After Effects team blog about how you can manually move them over. The 12.0 preferences folder is still there, untouched.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to SiliconPixel

> Are there significant changes to the preferences which prevented them being carried across or is there another reason? Are 12.0 settings files compatible with 12.1?

Some. Not all. We were going to automatically migrate them, but then finishing that feature was going to subtract effort from some more important bug fixes.

As I said, I'll post instructions soon.

> While I've got your attention, on another topic - do you know anything about the CC desktop app not working properly on Win 8.1? i.e. most of the menu items missing and dialogue buttons missing etc?

That's entirely not my area. Go to the Creative Cloud forum with that question:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/creative_cloud

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Oct 31, 2013 11:16 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

And ****! Know you tell me this?

Why you don't tell us this lost before we install it?

You guys have a way of doing things...

I can't trust anymore!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Ok, I had my 'sync settings' set up to automatically upload. Did erase all my 12.0 settings on the Adobe Cloud?

Brilliant feauture, but I would expect a warning if this is the case....

Can I retrieve a backup somewhere easily?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to Jean-Paul de Win

Sure you guys don't want to borrow our programmers? When we do a full version update we manage to have all settings convert to the new application version, so as not to have our customers get angry with us. And we deal with US Government and all US Indian and Alaska Natives, so we cannot afford to mess with their sync settings or securities.

Workspace was synced but now is gone

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd, do you have an ETA on posting that prefs migration procedure?  I just went through pre-set hell rebuilding my preferences, render templates, export settings etc when we transitioned from CS6 to CC, and cannot afford the time to do it all again; meaning we will not take advantage of 12.1 until we can do so without losing all our pre-sets work.  Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to rowlkr

Just seconding that request. Todd, will the tip you post about migrating workspaces also help with relinking all serials to scripts, etc.?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

Workspace fix for Windows 7 (x64):

Go to "Users\[Your User]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\12.0" and copy "ModifiedWorkspaces" and "OriginalUserWorkspaces".

Then one folder up and into "12.1". Paste/overwrite your folders there (remember to backup first!). Worked fine for me.

You can probably do it the same way on a mac, just try to search for one of those folders.

Just a wild guess, but you can probably restore your settings this way, too. Though, I don't know how compatible the settings-files are, version wise.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I don't think I have the same idea of the word soon as you do since its been 4 days and nothing I can see posted.  Can we get those instructions?  I don't really need to be spending so much time doing something that should have been automatically in an update.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

As a freelance visual effects compositor who has grown weary of defending the capabilities of After Effects in an ever growing community of Nuke users due to lack of their knowledge of what After Effects can do, I now have egg on my face as I have to make excuses for an unexpected drop in shot output due to the unexpected and unannounced annihilation of all my preferences with the 12.1 update.  I started learning Nuke reluctantly recently.  Now I have no reluctance.  I look forward to really getting up to speed on another compositing package so I don't have to go through this again.  Also, tell us how to move the 12.0 prefs to 12.1 like you said you would do on Thursday already.  Also some acknowledgement to the pain this has caused so many users of After Effects from Adobe might help restore at least a tiny bit of faith in your judgement.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 11:22 AM   in reply to pH0u57

Works on the mac side as well, workspaces back. I ended up reserializing all my scripts manually. Bummer. Wish that had been disclaimed a bit.

now hoping the zoom on the clickwheel gets fixed as well.

Bummer, gotta keep working.

d

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 5:56 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

really frustrated here. after effects resets all preferences without a hint of warning. until it crashes (thanks for the stable software guys) and i realize that it reset auto-save to the apparent default of "off".

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

Yes, I'd love to know how you can possibly botch this so badly? Did no one beta test this deployment/upgrade? So, you're telling me you have programmers who are brilliant enough to pull off wizardry like roto brush and deep caching but the task of migrating preferences from one version to the next is beyond your team's capabilities?

It would have been far more desireable to leave a bug or two in this release (make note of it in the release notes) and put the effort into ensuring preferences migrate cleanly and automatically. If there was a fork in the road, you took the wrong path this time.

Also, why can't I just tell this new version of AE to download the settings from the cloud and have it restored? Another day, another company touting cloud-this and cloud-that all the while not making it useful for customers (or dangerous, given the recent account hacking that was disclosed).

This is how a monopoly acts and it is awful.

-Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 4:03 PM   in reply to matt-gpmpc

We started work on a feature to automatically migrate settings from After Effects CC (12.0) to After Effects CC (12.1), but this work was displaced by other more urgent bug fixes.

I’m working now on a blog post describing how you can copy some (but not all) of the settings files from the 12.0 folder to the 12.1 folder. (Yes, your 12.0 folder is still there, untouched.)

Barring unforeseen problems, we’ll be doing this the right way for the After Effects CC (12.2) update.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

Arrgh!  Just lost my beatiful workspaces too! 

I am sure they are really sorry for the inconvinience they caused - they just forgot to post it

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

That's great, but I'm not on windows and don't know where to find my past preferences.  It's been a week since Todd originally said he was going to be writing a blog post about it, but its still  not been done.  I'm not a professional blogger, but I sure know it doesn't take that long to write one.  On top of that, since then there was a blog post written about a third-party plugin not working.  To me, you take care of yourself before third-party issues.

But the amazing thing is that, a touted feature for CC was just thrown to the wayside.  How then do you not consider it important enough to allow an upgrade to sync the settings.  If you had so many bugs that you had to fix that you couldn't take time to finish all the things you needed to in your upgrade, then delay it.  Its better to have an upgrade later that works right, then an upgrade now that costs us time and stress.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to bmac_14

Exactly. This is ridiculous!! I am so happy I am migrating to Nuke. Adobe, It is basic common sense that when you update something everything you personalized to make it your own is transfered. I cannot believe that you would deliberately cause this much stress and agony to every AE user because you feel that there was something more important than this to worry about.

If you are on a mac you can find the preferences folder in ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects from there you can transfer from the 12.0 folder to the 12.1 folder.

Was that so hard Adobe, to write something explaining where to go for the preferences.

Again, what a total waste of time this has caused everyone. And, you write that now, you will do it properly for the 12.2 update, I mean.... COME ON!!

Pull yourself together Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to Super Bear

Thanks Super Bear.  Even though it didn't quite work for me, it is right.

I couldn't find the Preferences using the method above because my Library folder was hidden.  However, I found a simpler way of getting to the preferences.

Open After Effects.  Go to After Effect > Preferences > General.  At the bottom of the window there is a button that says "Reveal Preferences in Finder."  Push that and it will open your finder window to the 12.1 folder.  The 12.0 folder is right there as well.

I find it amazing that an employee of Adobe that says they will have a blog post up can't do it within a week and a half, but I just did it it in about 15 minutes.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to bmac_14

We're still testing to see what can be successfully transferred through these means without causing problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

"We started work on a feature to automatically migrate settings from After Effects CC (12.0) to After Effects CC (12.1), but this work was displaced by other more urgent bug fixes."

Sorry, that doesn't fly. Don't release the upgrade then.

Already I wait until a gap in production to update because I never know what might happen these days.

The first priority in any upgrade should be:

What was working before should continue to work.

You all might spend your days on product development and bug fixes, but working motion designers and animator do not want to suddenly stop and eat a bunch of down-time every time you update the program.

Please consider this as a priority in the future.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to SiliconPixel

how to migrate settings (workspaces, preferences, etc.) from After Effects CC (12.0) to After Effects CC (12.1):

http://adobe.ly/173a53D

That post includes an apology and a note about our plans to do better.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2013 4:28 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

For me it worked to transfer the shortcuts to 12.1

I copied the content of both  "Adobe After Effects 12.0 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt"  and "Adobe After Effects 12.0 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt.bak"  to the 12.1

Then i changed "major_version" = "76"  to  "major_version" = "79"

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2013 6:24 AM   in reply to Matthieu-on

Matthieu, that loses several new shortcuts. It is not recommended.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Thanks for the work-around, Todd and thank you for hearing your customers.

I apologize for the reaction in my earlier post.

Your customers are creatives, perhaps the least "one size fits all" folks on the planet.

We develop habits & workflows and optimize the way we use the programs for that.

And along those lines, I've always appreciated the extent to which the Adobe UIs are customizable.

You are absolutely correct that in the case of a major release upgrade (e.g. CS5 to CS6, or even 5.5) the expectation is that I'll have to re-create my customizations. I allocated time for this, and do it at a time when that won't mess too much with whatever's on our plate.

But in the case of a "routine" update (e.g. 10.0 to 10.1) we expect it to be pretty seamless and without downtime.

Unfortunate it happened this way, but I'm pleased to hear Adobe has taken note.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to SiliconPixel

The After Effects CC (12.2) update fixes this.

You can migrate settings from a previous minor version of After Effects. For After Effects CC (12.2), you can migrate settings from After Effects CC (12.0) or After Effects CC (12.1).

To initiate the settings migration at any time, click the Migrate Previous Version Settings button at the bottom of the Preferences dialog box (in the General category).

When you initiate the settings migration, After Effects checks to see whether there are settings folders on the computer for 12.0 and 12.1. For each version for which a settings folder is found, After Effects presents a button with the respective version number, as well as a Do Not Migrate button. If you click one of the buttons corresponding to a previous version, then After Effects will copy and process the appropriate settings files from the previous version’s settings folder into the 12.2 settings folder. To complete the process and load the migrated settings, you need to restart After Effects, so After Effects prompts you to quit and restart.

When you start After Effects CC (12.2) for the first time with default settings, After Effects will automatically initiate the settings migration process.

Settings that are migrated include the following:

• preferences
    • interpretation rules
    • workspaces
    • render settings templates
    • output module settings templates
    • composition settings templates
    • keyboard shortcuts (migrated from version 12.1, but not from version 12.0)
    • user scripts (i.e., scripts saved in the Scripts folder in the user’s settings folder)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd - and the community

Scroll wheel zoom on Mac OSX fixed as well. YES!!!

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points