Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro to Speedgrade workflow

Oct 31, 2013 3:00 PM

Apparently, if you use the direct link to Speedgrade, MOST of the Speedgrade tools ... especially ANYTHING to do with the timeline, such as separate grading layers et al ... are non-functional?

Using the New Upddated Cool CC for the first time, and ... the only thing one can do it seems is make a layer in the layer palette and work within that. On a direct link, every other capability is grayed-out ... weird!

Certainly doesn't seem awfully useful that way ...

Neil

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 31, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

Agreed.

I hate to stick a finger in Adobe's eye on the day of the big release, but I was hoping for more functionality regarding SpeedGrade.  As it stands, I don't know how much use I'll get out of it.

Granted, I haven't had much time to play with it so I hope I just don't get it yet.  But given the locked-down nature of the new workflow, I'd have been happier if they'd just allowed SpeedGrade to import an .xml from Premiere.  Again, I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like I can import any additional formats (XDCAM, .MXF, .MP4, etc) even though they've added the MPE.  The only way to grade those formats is to begin in Premiere and use the new Direct Link.  I tried opening a Premiere sequence and then saving out as a SpeedGrade .ircp file, but no dice.

There doesn't seem to be any access to the Pan & Scan or Clip tabs.  What if I want to change how my clip is interpreted?  Not in a framerate or spacial sense (I can understand how this would throw Premiere), but what about camera and LUT settings?

So far, very disappointed.  I'm encouraged by the progress, but hope it continues.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

If you haven't seen the demos of Direct Link and it's features please check out these vids:

Adobe Premiere Pro CC & SpeedGrade CC: Direct Link

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-at-ibc-2013/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-spee dgrade-cc-direct-link/

Color-correct Premiere Pro sequences in SpeedGrade with Direct Link

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-speedgrade-cc/direct-link-colorcorrect ion-premiere-pro-to-speedgrade/

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

Neil,

Notice that you can now apply masks to multiple layers without the need for an additional grading layer.  You can also create adjustment layers in Premiere to act like a grading layer if that's what you're used to.

From a workflow perspective, you can now bounce back and forth between Speedgrade and Premiere with ease.   I find this very useful and powerful.

For example, you can open a project in Premiere, add stabilization, filters, crop, resizing, sharpening, softening etc and simply save and open the whole project in SG.        All of your SG work (including layers and masks) are saved as one neat filter in Premiere (titled Lumetri) and it preserves everything from SG so you can bounce back and forth whenever you like.  (keep editing, back off an extreme grade, etc)      When you re-open in SG all of your layers and masks are still there! 

The ability to skip XML exports and the associated issues brings incredible flexibility and efficiency and this feature will only get better.

It is still a new feature so please file feature requests for specific additions that you'd like to see!

Thanks for the feedback,

Wes Howell

Adobe

Premiere Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 7:44 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

Reporting : Direct Link to Speedgrade is a FAIL at first hurdle for me.

Crashes on a simple single timeline of MTS rushes footage. No effect, transitions ...nothing ...in the Premiere project.

NO where that I can see that O.E might be the issue cos there is nothing to do in the initial "linking:  launches then promptly just crashes!

I will park SG in the back paddock for now (and probably forever.)  Looked so promising.

Dissapointed ...but will  watch what others experience.  MIght get interested again. Keeping an open mind.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 8:21 PM   in reply to shooternz

Apology.

I am going to swallow humble pie here and advise that ...what did not work for me was opening a previous version Premiere Project in CS7.01 and attempt to Direct Linkl it to SG ...failed.

A NEW version CS7.1 Premiere Project worked fine. Actually ...I am impressed!

I will look further into SG with a more open mind now.

Hope that helps some one in case of  getting same error.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 8:25 PM   in reply to shooternz

My old project failed on the first try, but worked fine once I had SpeedGrade open.  I did have to accept the SG license on the first go, and I wonder if that had an impact, because the third try, again with SG closed, also worked just fine.

And so did going back to PP.  Man, I'm a gonna like this...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 8:53 PM   in reply to shooternz

Just did some minor correction work on a personal project shot on the GH2 using the new Direct Link to SpeedGrade.  I like the controls SG offers me.  Plays realtime back in PP (though for some reason, not while in SG).  Exported from PP just fine, and a whole lot quicker than it would have using Colorista.

I'm reeeeally gonna like this.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 9:24 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Plays realtime back in PP (though for some reason, not while in SG)

Change the settings in SG to suit your "horsepower"

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 9:31 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

I can see the grading layers.

Primary , Secondary etc...

BTW - appears that one can even work on a Premiere Adjustment Layer in SG

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 12:47 AM   in reply to shooternz

Having problems with Speedgrade, just crashes on opening now. Crashes when using Direct Link from Premiere Pro as well. Tried uninstalling and trashing prefs, no luck. Help?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

I'll have to walk back from my earlier comments a bit. 

In general, I think it's going to be a good addition to my workflow.  I love the grades I can get out of SpeedGrade, and as Jim mentioned, the lumetri effect plays back much better than any of the grading plugins that give you a fraction of the results.  I think it was a brilliant move to add a lumetri look as an effect, and then have SG adjust the parameters within a Premiere timeline.  Elegant, simple.

I think my initial shock came in seeing certain options were not available using this method, but the most important tools are certainly there.  What I miss is access to things like the 'Clip' tab.  While I can understand blocking access to the 'Timeline' tab (why change framerates and such when you'd do that in Premiere?), there are features in the Clip tab that seem pretty essential

For instance, I can change the color space settings for individual clips.  I have a client who shoots on a Sony F55, and brought me some 4K stuff to edit/color recently.  He shot in Sony S-Log.  When previewing the footage in Premiere, he was surprised to see that Premiere was applying some sort of LUT to the footage without us asking it to (it should have been very flat, like raw footage).  While Premiere may be interpreting things correctly, I don't know this for sure.  Being able to choose S-Log in the Clip/Colorspace tab is a pretty big deal.

On the other hand, let's say I accept these limitations when coming from Premiere.  I decide I will work from an exported EDL (or more favorably, an XML).  Now, I can only read a handful of supported files.  All of that great MPE goodness is gone, and I can't read MXF, MP4, etc (Again, think of my clients' F55).

So, while I know I'm repeating myself, I'll say this:  Great tool.  Absolutely, without a doubt, a better way to color in Premiere.  But if you could add access to the clip tab as well as stand-alone support for more formats, it'd put it right over the top.

And hats off to the Adobe guys for moving the ball very far down the field.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to Dave Del Real

Having problems with Speedgrade, just crashes on opening now.

That's better asked over here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/speedgrade?view=discussions

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

grading layer applied up to the timeline is not available with the DL workflow.

I noticed that, too, and will miss that capability.  It's nice that we have Adjustment Layers in PP and can CC or grade those right in SG, but we don't always know which clips will need the same settings until we start to work on them.  It'd be nice if we could create those Layers in SG as we work, instead of having to bounce back over to PP every time we need a new Layer.

Perhaps the next Feature Request...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to Dave Del Real

Dave Del Real wrote:

Having problems with Speedgrade, just crashes on opening now. Crashes when using Direct Link from Premiere Pro as well. Tried uninstalling and trashing prefs, no luck. Help?

I had the same issue - working with a legacy PPro 7.01 project crashed SG on Direct Link - and then I couldn't even get SG to open on its own.  Trashing prefs, repairing permissions didn't help.  I finally uninstalled SG and re-installed, and that did the trick.  Direct Link works now using new projects created in PPro 7.1.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points