Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I paint underneath lines (example in the attached link)

Oct 31, 2013 5:21 PM

Hey guys, I'm having problems colouring in illustrator. I'm going for the style shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvOX9nQgXus

Im wondering how to paint underneath my stroke lines as she foes at (14.23). I was able to do it once but I cant remember how. When i do it on a layer above it goes over the lines and when i do it in a layer below it doesnt even show because it's literally underneath my filled colours :/

Also here's a handy video for anyone looking for a quick method of painting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUD6uzHNbCk

Unfortunately, the action he put on his website for free use dont work for me as i get the messages: "Unable to expand appearance" and "unable to ungroup"

I will be extremely grateful for help on this one, I have a project due in soon.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 1, 2013 2:12 AM   in reply to herms_ra

not watching videos at work, but at a guess, draw inside?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 7:24 AM   in reply to herms_ra

At 14:23 she is beginning to direfct select tool the light blue shapes and then she only changes the fill color to a dark blue, did you give the correct time?

Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 9.22.27 AM.pngScreen Shot 2013-11-01 at 9.23.36 AM.png

She created 2 groups one for the black strokes and a light blue. You just need to clcik on the light blue layer to target that layer, and paint on top of those.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to herms_ra
    1. Select one of  black filled items
    2. Select >> Same >> FIll Color
    3. Make new layer
    4. Drag the colored square on the right side of the layers palette, from current layer to new.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to herms_ra

It may be a good idea if you show some screenshots of what you have on your screen

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 11:15 PM   in reply to herms_ra

Looks like the forum can't display properly gif files but if you view the image in your browser it will be fine. Click on the image, then in most browsers, right click and choose view image or drag the image on the address in the address bar of the browser

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to herms_ra

I haven't watched the video but from the steps you listed I'm not sure if the problem is painting (whatever that means) after making all 4 steps or the problem is with some of the steps that you feel are not completed successfully.

My guess is that your problem may be painting (creating) on the correct layer below the layer you want to paint behind. Before you paint make sure that the desired layer is highlighted in the Layers panel. To highlight a layer click on it. Then whatever you create will be on the highlighted layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 9:38 AM   in reply to herms_ra

Which steps exactly?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers