Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

5D III Cinema DNG not importing correctly

Oct 31, 2013 7:05 PM

Tags: #raw #premiere #import #pink #5d_mark_iii #cinemadng #5d_iii #premiere_7.1 #import_cinemadng #5d_iii_raw #pink_overlay

When I import 5D III cinemadng's into Premiere 7.1, the footage comes in with a weird pink overlay. It's not just a tint shift, but some sort of color distortion. After Effects and Photoshop both read the file just fine via Camera Raw. Is anyone else having this issue or know any solution?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 31, 2013 7:11 PM   in reply to loopyumpa

Are you sure it's CinemaDNG?  I don't think DNG used for stills is the same just because you have 24 of them every second.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 7:33 PM   in reply to loopyumpa

That would suggest the conversion software is doing something wrong.  You're the second user to report an issue using it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 8:22 PM   in reply to loopyumpa

Definitely.  Premiere Pro and After Effects should have been two of the very first programs to fully support CinemaDNG.  I mean, it's an Adobe-led initiative for gooness sake.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 9:31 PM   in reply to loopyumpa

I have the exact same problem.  Resolve/After Effects/Photoshop have no problems reading the Cinema DNG file but for some reason Premiere Pro CC gives the Cinema DNG a pink overlay.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 9:40 PM   in reply to loopyumpa

Yes, same issue for me using raw footage from the Canon 5d Mk III converted to Cinema DNG using RAWMagic: heavy pink tinting. I'm pretty impressed that I can play the Cinema DNG files smoothly and easily perform normal edits, but the pink overlay makes it unusable. Might be okay for an offline editing workflow using Resolve, although the pink overlay makes it difficult to see what you're working with. I'd be curious to know why Premiere isn't interpreting the colour information in the RAWMagic Cinema DNG files correctly, and whether or not the same issue occurs with CinemaDNG files from other cameras. Early days yet and the smooth playback is a good start.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 10:00 PM   in reply to loopyumpa

What makes this even worst is Adobe CREATED CinemaDNG and it doesn't work correctly.  Sad.  Just sad.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 10:09 PM   in reply to loopyumpa

Cinema DNG is also not working correctly for me.  Similiar to what others have described, I'm seeing a strong pink cast on all clips.  They work fine when used with davinci resolve.  What is the most effective way to report this to Adobe in the hopes of a possible patch?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 10:33 PM   in reply to loopyumpa

I would recommend as many people as possible reporting this as a bug using this link:  https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Select 'report bug' and submit.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 11:16 PM   in reply to loopyumpa

I imported some .dng files from a Blackmagic camera and they are fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 11:29 PM   in reply to rejdmast1

As the thread implies the problem is with the 5D Mark III and not with the BMC.  The problem is with Cinema DNG files that were converted from Magic Lantern RAW.  Resolve suffered from a similar problem early on that was described as 'pink fringing' in the highlights.  This problem was addressed with the release of resolve 10.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/09/davinci-resolve-10-fixes-magic-lantern -raw-fringing/

There has to be a way to help adobe specify the color space or determine white balance similar to what is done with the AE workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to loopyumpa

The Canon 5D MKIII doesn't make CinemaDNG files, these are specifically from MagicLantern. CinemaDNG is a huge spec, we targeted getting the colours correct from the BlackMagic camera first.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to SteveHoeg

The problem seems to be with how the DNG is interpreted in Premiere, may not be isolated to the RAW files that are converted to Cinema DNG as you explained.  Take a look at this article under the bad news.  It may be really helpful in making this DNG support usable.  Because as stated in the article, we are not beta testers, we are paying customers and as such we reasonably expect a lot more.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11441/raw-goes-mainstream-adobe-premiere- cc-native-cinema-dng-support-tried-tested

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to loopyumpa

To be very clear, for this 7.1 release, we are only supporting CinemaDNG media from the Blackmagic Camera. No other format is being supported at this time. The pink overlay problem with DNG derived from Canon RAW media is a known issue.

We are currently in discussions of how to expand our CinemaDNG support going forward, and user input is a vital factor. Nonetheless, Premiere support for the CinemaDNG format is different from the support in other Adobe applications. For more on this, see the section "Enhanced BlackMagic Cinema Camera support" at this link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new-7-1.html#Supportf ornewcameraformats

-- Andy

-- Premiere Pro Team

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to Andy T2

thanks for clarification and acknowledging the problem. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to loopyumpa

Hi, I'm another magic lantern user making DNG from my 5D3, and I got myself premiere and speedgrade because of DNG support... and I'm kind of disapointed now that this support is only for 1 camera... it's weird, but we'll be patient hoping that you support 5D3 DNG files one day...

Meanwhile, I'll have to switch to Davinci resolve 10 which can do editing now.

Magic lantern users are a huge community, so it wouldn't be a smart move not to support us, For many of us working with premiere and switching to speedgrade was gonna be a perfect raw workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to supermalex

just to push this Thread and make it more vital.. It's really a pitty, that Adobe as Inventor of a "universal" picture-format can't cope with its own idea.

Suggestions:
    (A) Use the (cinema)DNG-Attributes as they're written into the tif(dng) header.
    (B) Give a Interface/Translator for color-matrices.

As its working fairly good in Speedgrade (but sadly not to link it from there to premiere), i state the dng-Importer in Premiere as Beta-Codeproof working merely with BMCC-Files. I dont want to squeeze/recalculate the magiclantern-raws to bmcc-like data - cdng-import cant deliver, what was promised with the idea of dng - by now

regards chmee

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 5:57 PM   in reply to SteveHoeg

Are you folks aware that the Rawmagic CDNG files work flawlessly in AE and photoshop ACR and look completely correct?  They do not however open correctly in PPro or SG.  Is this because of RGB to YUV conversion?  AE being 100% RGB. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 6:04 AM   in reply to ironmountainfilms

Every Import via ACR is read correctly because of translation to rgb-data. Premiere only works accordingly with Blackmagic-data-structure (12bit log with delinearizationcurve), Speedgrade is able to convert to xyz with according color/translation-matrix.

Delinearization Curve - http://infogr.am/bmcc-delinearization-curve?src=web

Speedgrade Handling (look-file) - http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.msg87645#msg8764 5

regards chmee

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2014 12:52 AM   in reply to loopyumpa

Hey Guys, i think i found a work Around to the Pink Cast!

I imported CDNG's in to AE used the ACR plugin then Saved project as

a CS6 AE project then, Start a new project in Premiere Pro CC

import the AE CS6 project , its links to the original cdng's

And import with the ACR adjustments with no pink cast.

But if you try and send your AE project to premiere the cdng's will

have the pink cast.

So when you save as a "CS6" project in AE you can continue on to edit etc..

I did this test on my PC, i have not tried it on the MAC.

Can someone  confirm this workaround please  :)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2014 12:55 PM   in reply to loopyumpa

i think, i found a "recalculated way". 12bit linear with debiased blacklevel works quite good - i just coded the audio-convertion from mlv today. so take a look at raw2cdng 1.4.9 (raw&mlv)

http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-d ng/

regards chmee

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2014 1:40 PM   in reply to loopyumpa

Try sending to Speedgrade via DirectLink. Then save the SG Project and re-open in PPRO - that should take care of the problem...

To Adobe... It is a real embarrassment that you cannot read a format developed by yourself !!!

SG and PPRO both... This is simply put - a total embarrassment

You develop a so-called UNIFIED RAW format so that this RAW world is less complicated. But then you write RED and ARRI specific RAW decoders with access to Metadata (NEEDED for RAW) ---

The CinemaDNG Implementation in PPRO doesn't spark ONE access to ANY metadata... Even with Black Magic cDNGs... No Exposure, No WB no NOTHING !!!

As I mentioned - this is totally embarrassing - for the INVENTOR of the format - PERIOD !

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2014 2:47 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

I'm sure it would be easy for them to sumon ACR stuff in premiere just like with after effects. They must have some reasons not to do it... Maybe it's Canon who is paying them to hold on full CDNG support so that life isn't too easy for us magic lantern users! :O

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2014 2:55 PM   in reply to supermalex

Adobe is suppose to have a fix for Convergent Design's Odyssey 7's version of Cinema DNG in the next release.  Hopefully, Adobe will process DNG's files the same in all applications with the next upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2014 3:22 PM   in reply to rejdmast1

be patient, it will be better but, acr is NOT the way to go. its much too slow. how do you want to edit, if you have to wait for godot? a quite good idea would be a video-effect with some basic highlight- and shadow recovery.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points