Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Label size when wrapping around object

Nov 1, 2013 5:31 AM

I've figured out how to wrap a label around a cylinder using a 3D photoshop layer but what I can't figure out is what ratio and size that label needs to be.

For example I have a cylinder and have loaded the texture from the photoshop document into the Opacity section in the Properties tab but rather than it being in proportion with the cylinder it seems to stretch it. So have to edit the label document and squash the actual label, which I know is not the correct way of doing it.

Hoping that all makes sense? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 1, 2013 7:40 AM   in reply to greencode75

I would imagine that you just doa little math.  Calculate the circumference of the top of the cylinder and that will be the width of the document that wraps the cylinder and the height of the cylinder will be the height of the wrapper.  Then you should be able to place you label in that document and prevent it frombeing stretched.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to greencode75

Most likely, you will need to "eyeball" this.  set the view cylinder is straight on from the side.  That way you can measure both the height and width.  Use the width as the diameter of the top.  You can use the measurement tool.  All you really need are the ratios of heightXwidth.  The actual size does not matter.  This should get you real close.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to greencode75

It doesn't matter what size the cylinder actually has. Textures are always fully wrapped around. This is completely arbitrary. Otherwise it's 5th grade school math:

u=Pi*d

meaning circumference is the result of Pi multiplied by the diameter. The default cylinder in PS has twice the height of its diameter, the rest really doesn't matter, given that since d=1 it would be eliminated from the equation and the resulting aspect ratio is thus 2:3.14, no matter how many pixels there actually are.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to greencode75

Yes, that's what both Mylenium and I are saying, but the actual size does not matter, just the ratio.  You can make it any size you want depending upon the quality you want for rendering, but to get it looking right, you just need the ratio, which Mylenium provided.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points