Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 burning a DVD resolution issue

Nov 1, 2013 8:24 AM

Why is it when I take an Elements 11 slide show wmv file and burn it to a DVD, using the maximum resolution and selecting the NTSC widescreen Dolby DVD option, the resolution degrades?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 1, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to TysenM

I don't use WMV as source, since my understanding is that it is a compressed file... then you create a DVD, which is compressed again... and you now have 2 levels of compression

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to John T Smith

I agree with John. WMVs don't make the source video. Particularly if they are of lower-than-standard resolution (as most online files do) or include high-compression.

The best formats for Premiere Elements are DV-AVIs and M2T high-def video files. They'll always give you the best quality output.

Where are your WMVs coming from?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to TysenM

Instead of outputting to a file, can you instead, use Send to Premiere Elements, which will create a PrE Project for that SlideShow?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 11:03 AM   in reply to TysenM

TysenM

When you create a slideshow in Elements Organizer and opt to output it as Save As File Movie WMV, you need to set the File Size. If you select the NTSC DVD choice that you see, the profile is for DVD-VIDEO standard 4:3 project. Check the description accessed from the Details button there. You can select the DVD-VIDEO widescreen 16:9 wmv profile, by scrolling down to the bottom of the File Size list and selecting Browse for More if you do not already have "Widescreen Standard Definition (NTSC)" showing in your File Size list choices. If you have Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, the path to your additional choices is:

Local Disc C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Elements Organizer 11

Assets

Locale

en_US

tv_profiles

and in the tv_profiles folder you should find included 04 Widescreen Standard Definition (NTSC).

But, when all is said and done, "Why are you not using the Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor output of Edit with Premiere Elements?", in order to get the non wmv format of .psess?

I do not believe that the .wmv vs non .wmv is at the core of your issue. I have gotten good results either way.

Could it be that you have high resolution photos (exceed 1920 x 1080 pixels) and you are disappointed with the resolution characterized by DVD-VIDEO (720 x 480 frame size whether standard or widescreen....the widescreen has a 16:9 flag that stretches the video for display after encoding. But that scretching is not going to take the video frame size to 1920 x 1080 or more).

Just some thoughts for your consideration.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to TysenM

TysenM

I did not see Hunt's post until after I had posted mine.

I would make this comment to keep you in sync with the suggestions.

Hunt is referring you to the "Send to Premiere Elements" output command that exists in versions of Premiere Elements much earlier than your version 11. In your Premiere Elements 11, that output option is named Edit with Premiere Elements Editor...same thing, different name.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Thank you for the correction in nomenclature. Adobe seems to enjoy changing the names for common operations, version to version, such as "Get Media," and "Add Media."

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to TysenM

TysenM

Thanks for the follow up.

What are these fixes for both Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 to which you refer? Just curious about that.

Let us back up a little.

What are the pixel dimensions of your photos and how many of them do you have in this presentation? For now I am assuming that you dealing with photos that have pixel dimension equal of greater than 1920 x 1080. Please let us know if that is not the case.

I would like you to take a few as is and import them into a Premiere Elements 11 project with the project preset that you set manually.

a. File Menu/New/Project

b. In the new project dialog, set for NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30. Be sure to place a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on this Project" before you exit the new project dialog.

c. Then back in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/ to get some of those photos into Project Assets and from there to the Timeline.

d. If an orange line exists over the Timeline content, then render that Timeline content by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard.

See what that looks like at playback in the Edit Mode monitor?

Are you making your comparisons based on what you see in the monitor or are you actually taking the Timeline content to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc (Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc). From what you wrote, it sounds like you are. What are you using for viewing?

Here I would ask this question...just before you would hit Burn in the burn dialog, what does the Quality Area in the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to TysenM

TysenM

Thanks for the update. Just some more thoughts for your consideration.

The Photoshop Elements 11/Premiere Elements 11 Updates to which you referred are for Camera Raw. As it applies to Premiere Elements 11, it will allow you to import raw and dng images into your Premiere Elements project for use in that project. The benefits of that do not seem to apply to you right now since you do not appear to be using photos with the raw and/or dng format.

Project preset settings are important. You say that you are unable to find the option "Force Selected Project Assets on this Project". Please double check since I wrote that you should be looking for "Force Selected Project Settings on this Project". The following is a screenshot of the Premiere Elements 11 new project dialog with that option circled in red.

Force.JPG

With the above information, please consider reviewing my post 10 and running that the mini test that I suggested.

Is there any particular reason why you need the .wmv intermediate to get to your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? Have you tried the "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor" route to get your Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor slideshow into Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to TysenM

TysenM

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better. But thanks for checking out the suggestions.

Looking forward to Adobe's input on the matter. But it typically focuses on current version matters, and 11 is not longer current version. But try.

A while back several of the unexpected success stories related to blurry DVD was user uninstall/reinstall of the program. There were scattered reports of the issue and that fix. I am not sure if you want to give that a try...depending on what Adobe has to say.

If you got good results with 8.0/8.0.1, you should have gotten good results with 11. But that was not the case, so we continue to seek the whys. I will look over the thread again to see if anything was overlooked.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points