Skip navigation
shockabout
Currently Being Moderated

Why my gradient mask at home renders smooth, but is clipped at work?

Nov 1, 2013 9:40 AM

Tags: #illustrator #mask #transparency #gradient

I created a number of gradient masks applied to images with a basic 100 to 0 black gradient, on my Mac at home. They look smooth in Illustrator, and rendered smooth both as a PDF and exported to a PNG.

Gradient Mask from my Mac at home:

home-mask.jpg

But when I open the same illustrator document on my Mac at work the gradation of the mask is clipping. So instead of a smooth transition there's now a hard line.

Gradient Mask on my Mac at work:

work-mask.jpg

This is the same file, opened on different Macs. Both identical versions of Illustrator CS6, identical color settings, identical color profiles.

The main differences are my Mac at home is a 2009 MacPro running OS 10.9, and my Mac at work is a 2008 MacPro running OS 10.8.

I've created and recreated gradient masks over and over again, and I cannot get a smooth transparency gradient mask at all on my Mac at work.

This presented a problem, as the client had to have last minute revisions when I was at work, and could not produce a smooth image, I was forced to deliver the final graphic with clipped gradient masks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 1, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to shockabout

If you export a .png from both computers and post them here, i see no reason why they would be different. Does the file look bad at work when you open, or after you create the .jpg (what you posted), or .png.

Are you using save for web, sounds like you have a setting different there. Compression level or image size tab/optimized is set to none

Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 12.13.17 PM.png

Suggestions

• reset your prefs
    • create a new account

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 1, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to shockabout

Have you checked the monitor resolution setting and number of colors displayed on the work computer vs. your home computer?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points