Skip navigation
fm3126
Currently Being Moderated

Aligning page numbers

Nov 1, 2013 9:29 AM

I have created Master pages where the page numbering is done.

When I look on screen, the page numbering looks great!  Nicely aligned.

However, when I go to print my booklet, the page numbering is up and down and there is no rhyme or reason.  No indication that it is just one Master.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 1, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to fm3126

You may have to provide a bit more detail for anyone to get a clear picture.

fm3126 wrote:

...when I go to print my booklet, the page numbering is up and down and there is no rhyme or reason.

That seems to suggest the page numbers are "all over," but it's likely you're seeing a few mm variance spread to spread on laser-printed output, (the print method is one of the details you left out). If my assumption is correct, it's a printer issue, not an InDesign issue. Freestanding, sheet-fed printers simply aren't precise enough in terms of page-registration to guarantee perfect alignment, especially if the spreads are duplexed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to fm3126

Have you tried putting your text frames for the page numbering on a layer above everything else in the Layers Panel

Also in the Text Frame options can you set them to Ignore Text Wraps

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to fm3126

Okay, so when you export to PDF and scroll through the pages on-screen, you see a variance in the page number positions...(?)

Does your document have left and right (facing) master pages? If so, have you verified that the page numbers are at the same vertical coordinates on both, and that the two text frames containing them are identical in terms text inset, first baseline position, etc.?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to fm3126

Does it go away if you select the frames on the master pages and openthe text frame options, then check the box to ignore text wrap?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to fm3126

fm3126 wrote:

I printed and I'm still having the issue.

Okay, but as I pointed out initially, you could see this on printed output through no fault of InDesign. It's a mechanical issue.

This really can't be this complicated can it?

It's not supposed to be. We're missing something. Have you exported to PDF and rechecked on-screen?

Does InDesign CARE if you center the page numbers on the pages?  Or does it HAVE to be on the outer edges?

It shouldn't matter where the page numbers are set...only that their location on all your masters is consistent.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 8:16 PM   in reply to fm3126

If this happens also in a new document, it would really help if you simply made a dummy test document and uploaded it to dropbox.com or your own server and provide a link for someone here to download it.

Else the 20 question game could reach 200.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 3:54 AM   in reply to fm3126

Try answering these questions.

Do you have facing pages? If yes, go to the next question.

Go to the left-hand master and click the frame that contains the page number. Write down the X and Y coordinates for that frame.

Go to the right-hand master and click the frame and write down the X and Y coordinates.

If the pages numbers are centered at the bottom of the pages, the X and Y coordinates should match.

If they don't, make it so they do.

Then create the PDF and tell us what you see.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to fm3126

I second the request from MW Design - it would be helpful to see the document(s) in question. In addition to the InDesign file(s), can you post a sample PDF showing the problem you're experiencing? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to fm3126

Had a look at the file. The page number location on the masters is not consistent. I don't have time for full analysis, but just for example, the number on the B master is (a lot) higher than the others. There is a horizontal deviation from E Master to F Master. There are a lot of masters and a lot of potential for additional deviations. You would have to make them all the same before you could expect them to actually be the same.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points