Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

After 12.1 Update - Unable to load font "^0" "Helvetica Neue" error

Nov 1, 2013 10:26 AM

I've just updated to After Effects CC 12.1, and I'm now getting the following error when launching:

After Effects warning: Unable to load font "^0" "Helvetica Neue"

After pressing OK, I get another error:

Cannot load font required for the After Effects interface. Please replace the font or reinstall After Effects.

And then a final error:

After Effects can't continue: unexpected failure during application startup

I'm on Mac OS 10.9, and this was working just fine with the 12.0.1 patch. I've double-checked that Helvetica Neue is installed and all other CC apps work just fine. Any ideas?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 1, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to ChrisDr

Just upgraded and got the same error. I'm running Mac 10.8.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to jmricks

I got the same error this morning.  Posted it in the discussion here (after Todd says the 12.1 update "fixes" it).  I did not get a warning saying it didn't apply to my system.  I'm on OSX 10.8.5, not Mavericks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to ChrisDr

I just tried reinstalling After Effects, like it suggested, but I still get the error and After Effects can't open. Is there any way I can downgrade to the previous version? AE was working fine before this latest update for me and I'm in the middle of a job. This is really putting me in a bad situation here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to jmricks

jmricks,

Hindsight, but in the future don't ever update ANY software/OS/app in the middle of a job...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to ChrisDr

For all of you, where is you HelveticaNeue.dfont installed?

If you do not have an instance installed at:

HD/System/Library/Fonts

Put one there and see if it resolves the crash.

Paul Uusitalo

After Effects Quality Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

That's where it's installed for me. I'm using FontExplorer X Pro and most of my fonts are located at /user/FontExplorer X/Font Library/, however the system fonts are still located in the location you mentioned.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Thanks for the reply, Paul.  Unfortunately, I do have HelveticaNeue.dfont installed there, so my issue continues.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to ChrisDr

Hmm, are you also using FontExplorer X Pro or somethign similar?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

I am only using FontBook...no other font manager.

EDIT:  Sorry, Paul...just saw you were asking the OP this question.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to KLTV8

Could you try an experiment?

In FontBook, under the File Menu, select the "Restore Standard Fonts" command. Once it relocates all but the system fonts to the Fonts (Removed) directory, does AE then launch?

Trying hard to isolate what the issue is here.

Paul Uu

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Hey Paul,

That worked!  So does that mean I had a corrupted font somewhere?

EDIT:  Also, what does the (Removed) folder do?  It looks like it moved ALL the fonts from the FONTS folder into that one.;..

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to KLTV8

Ok, now let's try this.

Open that Fonts (Removed) directory, select all, copy and paste that into a text file and send it to me.

puusital@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Sending it via Hightail...it's a 900+MB text file...

EDIT:  Also, when I went to quit AE, i get this message:

( 76 :: 0 )

Unable to allocate 0.003 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / Text Engine Data). For more information, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem

I didn't even open any projects.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Paul, I tried doing the "Restore Standard Fonts" thing, but that didn't seem to work. It did move quite a few fonts to the Fonts (Removed) folder, but I still get the "Unable to load font "^0" "Helvetica Neue" error and am unable to open After Effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to jmricks

And are you using some variety of "Font Helper" application like mentioned above?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 7:09 PM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Yes, I'm using FontExplorer X Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 11:58 PM   in reply to jmricks

I had this problem too, and am using FontExplorer X Pro. I tried the FontBook "Restore Standard Fonts" as mentioned above, but that didn't fix it. However, activating Helvetica Neue from within FontExplorer seems to have done the trick for now – After Effects launches and seems to be running just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to KLTV8

Hello

Here's what worked for me

In font explorer I had several instances of Helevetica Neue fonts (Same font name but not same file name).

I deleted these instances in Font explorer.

I went to fontbook and restore defaults fonts.

After effects opened perfectly.

but now as KLTV8

i get this message when I quit the application

( 76 :: 0 )

Unable to allocate 0.003 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / Text Engine Data). For more information, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem

I didn't even open any projects.

Buggy update !

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to ChrisDr

12.0.1, was working in 10.8 but now after upgrading to 10.9 I'm getting the warning "After Effects warning: Unable to load font "^0" "Helvetica Neue"

Font is installed, tried re-installing AE. No luck

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to jmricks

Hi, I had the same issue this morning and I'm using Font Explorer X Pro. I ran the "Clean System Font Folders" command in the "Tools" menu. AE started fine after the ensuing restart!

Nic

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to Nic-Coe

Just closed and re-opened AE and now it won't launch again ... same error "Unable to load font "^0" "Helvetica Neue" .... hmmm

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to Nic-Coe

In Font Explorer X Pro I seached for "neue" and found 3 helvetica neue fonts that were enabled but were not part of the system dfont and disabled them. AE now starts. If I enable them again AE reports the error and won't start.

Lucky I had some time to sort this out this morning !

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 6:18 PM   in reply to BradChmielewski

Ok got it to work.

Removed Helvetica Neue completely from my system. Restarted a few times and did the "Clean System Font Folders" in Font Explorer X Pro. After Effects was still giving the error that it couldn't load the font. Then re-installed the font inside Font Explorer X Pro and activated it. After Effects opened with no problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Hi Paul,

Did you receive the text file?  Any word on what the issue might be?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to Nic-Coe

Ok, I searched for Helvetica Neue in FontExplorer and deactivated it. After Effects loaded fine. I quit AE, activated the font again, and AE opened fine. Hopefully it's fixed for good. I did run the Clean System Font Caches before, but that didn't solve the problem, at least not doing that by itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to KLTV8

Still trying to isolate the exact cause of the font failure. As for the memory error on quit, we're tracking that as a separate issue. I think it can generally be ignored.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Great!  Thanks for the update, Paul.  I've started slowly putting fonts back into the system font folder (HD > Library > Fonts), including the Helvetica Neue fonts, and haven't had any issues as of yet. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to ChrisDr

Just a heads up. I was using Font Explorer Pro as well, and after cleaning caches, restoring system fonts etc., I still had the same error messages. What I finally figured out was that I had an OpenType Helvetica Neue AND a postscript version. I deactivated the OpenType and activated the postscript instead then AE launched fine. I wish it were the OpenType that was working instead of the postscript, but it gets me back to work I'm happy. I'll probably try to locate and delete the postscript version later and reactivate the Opentype to see if that works.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to ericsbowman

Ah, a lead!

Could you email me directly both copies of the fonts involved.

puusital@adobe.com

Thanks!

Paul Uusitalo

AEQE

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2013 5:13 PM   in reply to ericsbowman

Hi all. Just got the same message. Running Universal Type Server here on 10.9 and have removed HelveticaNeue.dfont from library/fonts as part of my font management protocols (yes I come from a print background!). I checked UTS & I had both the Open Type & Postscript versions of HelveticaNeue activated. When I deactivated the postscript version AE opened fine.

FYI I still don't have HelveticaNeue.dfont installed anywhere.

Cheers

Jamie

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Hey Paul I sent those fonts yesterday btw. Let me know what you find.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 6:41 PM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Now sure the status of this issue, but confirming a Postscript font was at fault here.  I had a single Postscript font of Helvetica Neue active (out of the dozens available) along with some TTF versions.  I did the Font Explorer X rebuild, did the font book rebuild, nothing worked until I found that one Postscript font active.  Disabled via Font Explorer, and AE started right up.  No error on shutdown.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to jsolterbeck

Had the same issue and I'm starting a new job today, so I've been scrambeling for a fix. Stoked I finally found this thread!

Just like jsolterbeck & tprgrimey, found that I had a PostScript font of HelveticaNeue active (along with 5 other active HelveticaNeue fonts).

Went into FontExplorer, disabled the 1 PostScript font and AE launched fine. No errors on launch or quit.

So the issue seems to be resolved, for now...

cheers,

-taylor

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to taylor_augustus

Could someone with the PostScript version of Helvetica Neue email it to me please?

puusital@adobe.com

Thanks!

Paul Uusitalo

AEQE

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Soooo...just to throw a possible wrench into this, I looked at the fonts that were removed and I never had a PostScript version of Helvetica Neue on my system...just the .dfont version.  Don't know if that matters.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to KLTV8

I believe there is more than one scenario causing to AE to fail to find the font.

Othewise we would have a clearer isolation of the problem at this point, and woudln't be seeing so many different "jiggle the handle" type solutions working (or not working) for different people.

Paul Uu

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to KLTV8

I'm not totally clear on what OS X does with fonts, but I can tell you all I had in my Library > Fonts is the one called HelveticaNeue.dfont and AE still wasn't working.  I even moved it out and moved in other versions I found lying around from jobs, font packages that had the same name.  Still didn't work, so I went into font explorer x pro and fished around until I found a single postscript version of a helvetica neue font active, along with a pile of ttf versions.  Turing off that one postscript version is what worked.  Now where that font actually resides, I don't know.  I don't really understand the font explorer does, but I don't think activating fonts means they are moved to Library > Fonts.  Anyway, get yourself a font utility if you need to and make sure there are no postscript versions available, because as far as I can see I wouldn't have been able to know that without font explorer.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

Sent -

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status