Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe InDesign CS5.5 Has Stopped Working

Nov 2, 2013 7:33 AM

Hello,

I am new to InDesign as have been using PageMaker for years.

I have just installed a Trial Version of CS 5.5 and am trying to open an InDesign document which was created by my friend. InDesign crashed when trying to open the document, it gave me the following error messages:

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WER732E.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WER8BFC.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WER8F95.tmp.mdmp

I have no idea what do these error messages mean. I have tried several times and the same messages came up.

And now, when I opened CS5.5, it gave me the error messages right away. The only differences of the errors are the WER numbers.

Any suggestions/comments are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 2, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to silkphoenix12

You haven't really given us an error message, but most versions of Windows don't provide anything useful, anyway.

The files you list are all temporary files, possibly created by ID as it starts up. It's pretty hard to know why the file is failing from that, however.

First thing you need to do is empty the InDesign Recovery folder. It should be in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 7.5\<langauge>\caches\

That should allow you to start ID normally. Can you create a new file, save, and reopen it? If so, the problem is most likely the other file, and one possibility is a bad font. If not, ig may be program related, and a place to start would be with killing SING. See SING Removal

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to silkphoenix12

How did you receive the documents? If they were sent by email, were they zipped for protection?

I can send you an upload link to send the file to me and I can try here, but there's no guarantee I will fare any better. It sounds like the files may be damaged.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to silkphoenix12

Trial version should not be a factor, thought a missing update could be (the last patch, as I recall, for CS5.5 was 7.5.3). I've sent you a link by Private Message.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to silkphoenix12

The EDDM postcard opens fine here with missing fonts (the originals are probably Mac format True-type) when using File > Open...

It's a converted Pagemaker file, but I con't tell you much more.

The other zip file is password protected, so I can't open it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to silkphoenix12

It's either crashing because of a font, or becasue you need the 7.5.3 patch, I would guess. Were you able to open the .idml I sent?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to silkphoenix12

The file I sent you was a .idml file I exported from the file you sent. That's a way to sometimes clear out gunk causing problems, particualrly with files converted from other formats.

Most of the fonts are missing becasue the file originated on a Mac and used old Mac-format fonts which don't work in Windows. You'll have to use Find Font to substitute your Windows versions of some other similar font for each one.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to silkphoenix12

That would be fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to silkphoenix12

Also opens right up. Different font set, but the same basic layout.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to silkphoenix12

I'll make a new .idml and you can try that.

But if you don't have any more luck, it's really the same file, as I mentioned. It just has some font substitutions.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to silkphoenix12

Have you tried to install the 7.5.3 update? Help > Updates....

And you do understand that the CS5.5 trial is a dead end, right, as far as installing ID? There is no more licensing available for CS5.5 or earlier.

Your choices now are a perpetual license for CS6, or a Creative Cloud subscription, which gets you both the latest version (and updates as long as you subscribe), and CS6 if you want/need it for collaboration.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to silkphoenix12

If you subscribe to CC you ALSO get CS6 thrown in, so you can install that to do the Pagemaker conversions.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 4:04 PM   in reply to silkphoenix12

Then it's probably a font issue. see Troubleshoot font problems | Windows if you really want to pursue it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 7:06 AM   in reply to silkphoenix12

Two things...

First, ID is far more sensitive to corrupt or badly made fonts than any other application I've ever seen, and second, it doesn't allow fuax bold or italic the way Pagemaker, Word and Quark do, so if a font was made bold or italic in Pagemaker by clcikign the button, and there really isn't a bold or italic variant installed, the font will be missing in ID.

What fonts are we dealing with?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to silkphoenix12

Arial Black is known to have some issues in ID. Does it show in the font dropdown list? How about the Avant Garde? Do either of them have Bold listed as a variant?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to silkphoenix12

But do they both have Bold variants (if the Bold appears in brackets it means it's missing). Might also be a case of your friend substituting the mac versions for yours during the conversion.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to silkphoenix12

Are you able to substitute the same font using Find Font?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to silkphoenix12

You should use Type > Find Font... to replace missing fonts to be sure you actually get all instances, and to redefine styles when you do it.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points