Skip navigation
vindunn
Currently Being Moderated

Elements 8 on iMac running 10.6.8

Nov 2, 2013 11:26 PM

Tags: #elements #8 #imac

I'm running OS 10.6.8 on an iMac. I have Elements 8 loaded and running. Now when I went to open the program, I got a message suggesting that the program was incompatible with my system and that I might need to update or reinstall the program. So I tried to uninstall the program first but got the message that the software could not be installed because the file system of the OS volume was not supported and the volume should have a "local, writable, and non case-sensitive system. I got the same message when I tried to install it anyway.I don't know what happened. It used to work. Can someone help? I'd be grateful.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 3, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to vindunn

Can you post a screenshot of the exact message? How did you try to uninstall? Is it installed on your main drive?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to vindunn

Well, I guess the first quesion is do you have a case-sensitive drive somewhere on your system? Do you have any kind of auxiliary/external drives or is this an SSD+storage drive setup? (The error I really wanted was the first one.) Have you done anything to your system/drive recently?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to vindunn

Uh oh. You can never, never restore Elements from a backup. PSE is not a nice tidy package in accordance with the apple developer guidelines. The installer is more like a shot of buckshot and strews stuff all over your hard drive in places where you'll never find all the necessary bits. You've made a big mess by trying that.

First download and run this, then do a manual search of your hard drive and delete all the bits you can find. Pay special attention to Applications and hard drive>library>application support>adobe.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation -problems.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to vindunn

Run the cleanscript anyway if it will run. All it does is to break the symbolic links in the program. Otherwise you may still have some problems afterwards, but there's nothing to do but a manual cleanup and hope for the best, but it may be ugly. I would definitely create a new admin user for the reinstall if you can't get cleanscript to run.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to vindunn

You mentioned creating a new admin user, but I don't know what that means

Go to system preferences>users & groups (this may be User Accounts in 10.6). Click the little lock at the bottom of the window so that you can make changes, then click the plus button below the list on the left side of the window. In the window that opens name the account and choose to make it an administrator if that option is offered. (If not, once you've created it, click in the list and in the main window you'll see a checkbox for allow this user to administer this computer. Turn it on.)

Then log out of your current account and into the new user and see if things work better.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 5:49 PM   in reply to vindunn

You know, before you pursue this any farther, I would download and run the combo updater for 10.6.8:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Running the combo updater right over your current OS X installation will often fix any small glitches that might have developed in your system. Be sure to repair permissions afterwards.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points