Skip navigation
OzzyofLA
Currently Being Moderated

HELP - AE ONLY USES 1 CORE for in-comp render

Nov 3, 2013 8:54 PM

Hi AE community.

I have a pretty solid computer but am very disappointed with how slow frames update in After Effects. I am quite familiar with how to set up AE for RAM/CPU distribution, but maybe I've clicked something that is causing this issue.

My system has 24 cores and 64 gb of RAM.

I allow AE to use 8 of the 24 cores and give each one 4GB of RAM

Also have CUDA enabled for a gtx580 3GB.

OS is Mac 10.8.5 with AE Creative Cloud, fully updated along with the NVidia drivers.

I'm attaching an image (below) that shows 12 of my 24 cores jumping to action during a frame render (strange b/c I told AE to only use 8, but I am not complaining... the more the merrier), then one single core finishes the render very slowly.

Another point worth mentioning is that I am rendering a frame for a map animation that uses a 20K jpg that is 10.7MB in size. There are a few images like this overlaying one another. The 10.7MB size is actually quite small given the resolution, but perhaps it is an issue... although I don't know how that relates to AE simply not using the immense power at its disposal.

I am using the CLASSIC 3D renderer. The Raytraced 3D renderer is blazing fast, but I can't use my various overlays that are needed, so its not a viable option for me right now.

I'm still stuck wondering why all my CPU power is going to waste within the program. Perhaps its worth mentioning that when I do a final render to file (especially using the Background Renderer script) all 24 cores are utilized and frames are rendered so much faster than when I am still working in my comp.

Quick info on the image:

#1 = what happened the first 10 seconds after moving to a new frame in the timeline

#2 = another 30 seconds of render on one core only

AE cpu.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 3, 2013 11:15 PM   in reply to OzzyofLA

Could be the disk cache or hardware acceleration for Fast Previews. Turning off both might do wonders...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 8:10 PM   in reply to OzzyofLA

> Now that this has been narrowed down to a Trapcode issue, can anyone explain why it is only using one core?

There's a lot of work that goes into writing multithreaded software. You'd need to ask Trapcode folks why Particular isn't multithreaded in this case.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 8:45 PM   in reply to OzzyofLA

There's no further insight to give, other than perhps to tell you that we currently have a large fraction of our team working on making all of After Effects behave better (i.e., faster) in this area.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 8:51 PM   in reply to OzzyofLA

No promises, but we're hoping to have something to show next year.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I'm also quite excited to hear about that. Your loyal, long-time users will really appreciate this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points