Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

convert a specific font to outlines

Nov 4, 2013 8:46 PM

So I have a font I've used for headings. Its licenced, but wont allow embedding

Is there a way to select all instances of this font and convert them to outlines in one go, rather than going from page to page?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 5, 2013 12:56 AM   in reply to getho

Technically, I think you are still violating the EULA if you go around it by outlining. If it's a large heading, you may not see the loss of quality that outlining does for body type, and I don't know whether the loss of quality would be a deal-breaker for you or your client, but that's not for me to say. Either way, if you can find fonts that aren't restricted, you won't need to be bothered.

You can use Find/Change to find any instances of the font, but unless you use a script, you may have to find then convert, find the next and convert, etc. I don't write scripts, so I can't say how tough that would be.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 1:00 AM   in reply to getho

Don't forget that any underline, or other decoration of the font will be lost with outlining.

Best to find a font that isn't restricted....

Migintosh says it best...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 1:03 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

…you make me blush…

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 1:16 AM   in reply to Migintosh

Migintosh wrote:

Technically, I think you are still violating the EULA if you go around it by outlining.

Surely not -- getho did say

Its licenced, but wont allow embedding

Contact the vendor. There is something wrong if you licensed a font but cannot use it anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 1:43 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

[Jongware] wrote:

Surely not…

I don't want to nitpick, but couldn't a license allow use of a font for direct printing while still restricting embedding? I'm not saying that's what the OP has or doesn't have, but without knowing, I don't think my assumption was all that implausable.

As far as actual help goes, my suggestion will work, so that's something. You could also try asking over at the InDesign Scripting forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 2:16 AM   in reply to getho

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 5:03 AM   in reply to getho

Just out of curiosity, did the font vendor supply an EULA with the font? Seems pretty likely, given the "help" you received. If so, did you read it to see what is allowed?

There are many, many fonts that don't allow embedding in PDF. Some are common fonts that nearly everyone has anyway so there's little potential problem, but others are esoteric and as everyone has already said, in those cases it best simply to "find another font" that isn't restricted.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points