Skip navigation
alanst2
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Audition 6 and Mackie MCU Pro Control Surface

Nov 7, 2013 4:33 PM

Tags: #adobe #usb #cs6 #audition_cs6

I have recently opbtained a Mackie MCU Pro Control Surface, for use with Adobe Audition CS6. At first I used it with an HP i7 running Windows 8. It worked like a dream, doing everything that I expected of it. Now, I have plugged it to my Laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium. Sadly it refuses to respond to any commands in either direction. The PC giives the two-note ackowledgment that the USB is comminucating. However, that's as far as it goes.

Audition on the laptop knows what's connected and all options offer the USB connected device correctly named. Whatever I do, there is no sign of the Mackie MCU Pro waking up. It just seems to sit there, probably thinking it's a 'fridge or a toaster.

Has anyone else used this combination and did it work OK? I'm sure I'm mssing something obvious and there's an 'enable' of some sort. Can anyone offer any thoughts?

Thabk you for your time and help.

Alan

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,598 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Nov 8, 2013 1:30 AM   in reply to alanst2

Can't see why it shouldn't work. The only 'enable' you have to do is to select it in External Controllers in Preferences, and possibly re-start Audition, and it should work fine.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 8, 2013 5:29 AM   in reply to alanst2

There might be a problem with the USB drivers on the laptop. There is a freeware programme called USBdeview that can help you discover if both PCs are using the same USB drivers with the Mackie Controller.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to ryclark

I use the original Mackie MCU with Audition CS6 and Windows 7 Home 64bit. I use a cheapo usb to midi device with no problems. My guess would be that ryclark is right about the drivers. You might try simply plugging into a different usb port, that usually results in a driver install.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,598 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Nov 17, 2013 2:23 AM   in reply to alanst2

alanst2 wrote:

With precisely the same software (same source and same S/N) the Mackie worlks correctly with the Desktop but doesn't work at all with the laptop.

Almost certainly the USB drivers, then.

I would have hoped that over the years since I had any dealings with them, Packard-Bell computers in general have improved. On their early machines, drivers in general were a constant nightmare. But we are talking about the cheap and cheerful end of the market...  Good luck with it; I suspect that you're going to need it. But at least you aren't running W8 on it. If you were, all bets would be off.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to alanst2

The one time I did have a problem with my usb to midi device, I followed instructions to manually delete the midi driver entries from the registry. If you're not comfortable with making registry changes please disregard (you can do some serious damage if you don't know what you're doing).

1. Unplug your midi device

2. Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

3. Remove entries for midi, midi1, midi2, etc

4. Restart Windows

5. Plug your usb-midi device back in.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to alanst2

Ahh, no midi, understood. It might be worth the $4 to try out the usb-midi device that I use. Of course if you're having problems with straight up usb then a usb-midi device may not work any better, but I would think it would be worth a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIDI-USB-IN-OUT-Interface-Cable-Cord-Line-Conv erter-PC-to-Music-Keyboard-Adapter-/200771349339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 &hash=item2ebee7ab5b#ht_2954wt_1105

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points