Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Proportioning shapes and aligning them (specifically hexagons)

Nov 7, 2013 6:45 PM

Tags: #illustrator #shapes #alignment #sizing #proportions

Hello, I am having a really hard time figuring this out, so I figure I'd come here. I am trying to create a striped outline around a design and I can't seem to do it. I'm doing the white stripes (which is what I'm troubled with) in the shape of a hexagon around the hexagon design in the middle. I can't resize each hexagon so that when i align them vertically and horizontally there is the same space between all of them. any help is appreciated. thanks

here is a picture of what i'm working on...

Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 6.31.29 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 7, 2013 9:49 PM   in reply to amnv13

Just a thought, but why not use multiple strokes on a single path. You can add more stroke in the apprearence panel. Alternate between white and black making each stroke larger as you go. Just make sure the largest stroke is on the bottom and smallest on top, so they are all visible.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 12:53 AM   in reply to amnv13

Make sure the path is selected.

Open the appearence panel

Click on the stroke

Click the duplicate item icon at bottom of appearence panel

Click the duplicate item repeatedly until you have the desired number of strokes.

Adjust the color and stroke width to taste

Done.

hex lines.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 1:05 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

Just a quick note, this applies the stroke to both sides of the path. You could either clip the outside by copying the path and pasting it in front. Select both paths and choose Object>Clipping path make. This option would hide the outside portion of the bottom path.

Or on the front path, remove the extra strokes in the appearance panel, so that has only 1 stroke. Then give it a fill that matches the background.  This option would cover up the inner portion of the bottom path.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 1:12 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

And now for another way.

Create your path and give it a stroke.

Now goto object>path>offset path and type in a spacing of approx. 10 px to start. undo and repeat of not right.

repeat the offset path as many time as you like.

It can get a bit repetitive but it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 2:10 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

Silkrooster wrote:

Just a quick note, this applies the stroke to both sides of the path.

Not if choosing Align to Inside or Outside in the Stroke panel which works for closed paths.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 2:38 AM   in reply to amnv13

As I understand it, you are drawing the white polygons with different thickness but want the same space between them? If so, I would do it like this

1. draw strokes with desired different width and distribute them as shown

2. drag the strokes to the Brushes panel to create an art brush and apply it to a polygon

3. Object > Expand Appearance, select the disconnected half and delete it

4. Use the Reflect tool to make a reflecting copy, with the black pointer select each of the corresponding pairs and join (Ctrl +J)

Untitled-222.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 3:40 AM   in reply to amnv13

amnv,

To add new strokes, in the Appearance palette flyout (top right arrow) tick Add New Stroke, then make sure you have it selected in the main Appearance palette when you change it.

For stroke/nofill hexagonal paths, you can also use Object>Path>Offset Path setting the Offset to equal the sum of the (new) Stroke Weight and the desired gap. For identical Stroke weights and gaps you can just repeat it.

However, it seems that your hexagon shapes are fill/nostroke compound paths forming rings of increasing size, and none of the suggested ways would work with that.

It is much easier to work with stroke/nofill paths, unless you wish to have scaled shapes, with increasing gaps and thicknesses.

You can scale either; for stroke/no fill paths you need to tick Scale Strokes & Effects, which you can do in the Transform palette flyout.

If you wish to have hexagons of different widths but with identical gaps, as keenly spotted by Emil, for a stroke/nofill version you may also:

1) Create the innermost hexagon,

2) Scale a copy to get the outermost hexagon and adjust its Stroke Weight if needed,

3) Object>Blend>Options, set the number of intermediate hexagons,

4) Select both and Object>Blend>Make, you may need to go back and adjust the size of 2),

5) Object>Blend>Expand,

6) Align>Distribute Spacing.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob Bugge wrote:

6) Align>Distribute Spacing.

Hmm, I'm wondering if what I think is a newer version that I'm using has lost some nice capabilities comparing to yours.

I did try distributing differently sized hexagons with different stroke weight before my first reply but didn't get anything nice.

Untitled-001.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to emil emil

I think Jacob actually meant Distribute Objects.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Just tried it using Vertical and Horizontal centers but these options don't use the preview bounds leaving the distribution unchanged because the strokes are already distributed perfectly. The task is to make the gaps between each different weight stroke the same. CS5 on Windows

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to emil emil

That means you're claiming that I've missed to take enough chocolate_0001.png  today?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 6:34 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2013 2:41 AM   in reply to emil emil

Emil, Kurt,

I obviously ran out of sensible things to say after the second suggestion. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points