Skip navigation
keywordsarekey
Currently Being Moderated

How can I merge lines and shapes in order to create one final shape?

Nov 9, 2013 9:40 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to create a star icon with lines through it. I used the star shape builder tool and then the line segment tool, but the lines are not being recognised as part of the star shape. For example, when I try to turn the star, the lines remain in the same place. This is pretty much exactly what I am trying to make, but I can't form the segments into one cohesive, editable shape.

http://www.davekoelle.com/geometry/geom-star_th.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Keywords

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 9, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to keywordsarekey

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to keywordsarekey

1. Take a star tool and hold shift and alt key and drag from top to bottom.

2. Then select the star and go to window menu open attributes panel and click show center option.

3. Now you can see the center point of the star. then u take pen tool and draw from center point to top point and lower corner then end with center point. then fill black and another one for white. see the attached screeshot for refference.

4. same way you do all side.

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to Varadarajan

Varadarajan wrote:

2. Then select the star and go to window menu open attributes panel and click show center option...

Untitled1.jpg

this is the center of the bounding box of the star but not the center of the star

to find it with the Line Segment Tool and Smart Guides on to make the snapping easy, draw lines like this

star.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to keywordsarekey

keywordsarekey,

unfortunately I still cannot get in to the individual segments to fill in the ones I'd like to

You should be able to do it with Live Paint, at least if you give the original star a fill to start with.

Or you may tick View>Smart Guides and then:

1) Drag with the Line Tool from outer corner to opposite inner corner to make all the dividing lines (Smart Guides say anchor at each end), as many lines as the star has points;

2) Select each of the dividing lines and Object>Path>Divide Objects below, this creates the triangular paths to give the different fills, probably along with some trash paths at the centre, see 4;

3) Select each of the triangular paths (you may drag over the outer segment) and set the fill colour, you can do it in groups for each colour so you just have to tisk the Fill box in the Tollbox;

4) If needed, select each path that appears in the expanded Layers palette and delete the trash paths showing up at the centre.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 4:47 AM   in reply to keywordsarekey

keywordsarekey wrote:

Also, how can I create that circle in the centre as per your image? When I draw the lines, they don't intersect in the precise centre...

As I suggested in my previous post and as Jacob elaborated in the step 1 of his instructions draw the lines to make the object shown in my previous post.

Then the easiest way I would suggest is using the Live Paint tool to fill each half of the star's points with black.

In the image below I put the lines with different colors to show more clearly how long they are and which points they connect and how when the Smart Guides from the View menu are turn on will show Anchor label to indicate precise snapping.

On the second image, first choose the highlighted tool, click anywhere on the star to turn it into a Live Paint group, change the color fill to black (highlited on the image), and click on each half that you want black. Then change the tool to another like the Selection tool and apply black color to the stroke too

star2.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2014 9:39 AM   in reply to keywordsarekey

Go to Pathfinder and click merge

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to keywordsarekey

For my part you are welcome, keywordsarekey.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points