Skip navigation
SueVH
Currently Being Moderated

Deleting photos from Mac hard drive

Nov 10, 2013 1:53 PM

Tags: #mac #adobe_revel

Hi I have read the posts on how to delete the library from the Machard drive however.

At the instruction

Delete Adobe Revel Library.

... /Users/your user folder name here/Library/Containers/com.adobe.Carousel.mac/

When you relaunch Revel, you will have to wait while the catalogs sync up (which might take a bit depending on size of library) but no originals will be downloaded.

when I look in finder there are many sub folders under the one above e.g.

data/ desktop

data/documents.

also downloads,

library

movies

music

pictures

and more folders below these which from their names look nothing todo with Revel. Am concerned that deleting the folder at the level given will remove other things nothing to do with Revel that I want to keep. Please confirm what to do. I need to remove the pics a thye are   taking 85Gig of hard drive space. Is a pity the software does not link to the original ant not copy it.

kr

Sue

Replies
  • Charlie.D
    190 posts
    Jun 16, 2009
    Nov 12, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to SueVH

Hi Sue

The bit you copy/pasted shows how to clear the Revel app cache.  Deleting /Users/your user folder name here/Library/Containers/com.adobe.Carousel.mac/ is how one clears the app cache, not how one clears the main Adobe Revel Library, which resides in your Pictures folder.  Clearing the app cache purges thumbnails, and original photos that are copied to the cache while waiting to be uploaded to the cloud.  As long as your photos are completely uploaded first, clearing the app cache is harmless.  Doing so simply requires you to sign in again, sync your account data again like you said, and toggle off 'Keep Originals' in your library settings again if that's your preference. 

The additional folders you mentioned seeing inside ~/Library/Containers/com.adobe.Carousel.mac/Data/ are not the real, actual folders they may appear to be.  In programming terms, Apple refers to this app cache location as an application sandbox.  You can see on this Developer support page that the folder structure you see is expected: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Security/Concept ual/AppSandboxDesignGuide/MigratingALegacyApp/MigratingAnAppToASandbox .html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40011183-CH6-SW1

If you are uncomfortable removing the folder com.adobe.Carousel.mac, just rename it, and then try normal activities across your operating system and other apps to make sure nothing broke.  You can restore the original app cache by reverting back to the original name, but I think you'll see it's safe to ultimately delete the app cache.  Again, before removing anything, please make sure all your photos are complete uploaded to Revel first.  You might wish to independently verify this by signing into your account at www.adoberevel.com

If you prefer to keep your original photos stored only in the cloud and not also on your Mac, disable 'Keep Originals' in your library settings inside Revel.  Keep Originals retains copies of your photos in the Adobe Revel Library in your Pictures folder.  This can grow quite large, and essentially is a duplicate copy of any original photos you have stored elsewhere on your machine.  If you disable 'Keep Originals' after already having created a large local library, the library size won't automatically shrink.  To get it back down to a small size, you will have to delete the Adobe Revel Library, but before you do:

1. for safety's sake please be sure to  separately back up of all your photos, perhaps on an external hard drive. 

2. please let any new imports or other changes completely upload/sync to the server.

Hope this helps.

--Charlie

|
    Mark as:
  • Charlie.D
    190 posts
    Jun 16, 2009
    Nov 12, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to SueVH

"If I understand your comments correctly I simply delete the adobe revel library.rvl in the picture folder?"

Yes, but please first make sure you have no files, edits, etc, waiting to upload.  Check the Status LED -- is it green (all good)?  Click on it.  Do you see anything pending, or is it all up-to-date?

After you have everything you need uploaded, if you then clear the Adobe Revel Library.rvl and also the app cache, your machine will be lean, and then Revel will only downloads thumbs and original photos as needed from cloud storage.  When you import more photos in the future, that Keep Originals library setting I mentioned will dictate whether your imported photos are placed in the cache, or in the Adobe Revel Library.rvl file.  I myself disable Keep Originals, so that my imported photos are simply temporarily copied to the app cache, and that gets automatically purged when disk space runs low.

The iOS app has a nice little Clear Cache button tucked away in the library settings.  I wish the Mac app had this button, to make clearing the app cache less scary.  It's on the team's radar for a future release.

"I'd like the Mac version to work as it does on the ipad so no need to clear the cache? If I delete the .rvl file the app will then look at the cloud version correct?"

Yes.  If your photos are uploaded, Revel iOS and Mac will pull them down from the cloud as needed.

"Within the app there is a delete album function under library but I expect that will delete an album completely from Revel local and cloud?"

Albums are a simply a container for sharing, and yes, if you remove the album on your Mac, it will also disappear from view on iOS, and www.adoberevel.com.  Deleting albums won't delete the photos within the albums.  Only if you remove photos from your Library view will they be removed from the Revel storage system. 

Since I mentioned www.adoberevel.com, let me say it lacks the editor of the Mac app, but also is ahead of the Mac app in some ways.  For example, you can upload and playback video, which is something the iOS app can do, but the Mac app can't yet.  (We're still working on this.)

Sue, thanks for using Revel, and asking these questions so that we can help make Revel a better experience for you!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points