Skip navigation
f1rules
Currently Being Moderated

Convert dual mono tracks to stereo in Audition CC

Nov 10, 2013 7:04 PM

How do I convert dual mono tracks to stereo in Audition CC please?

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Nov 11, 2013 1:25 AM   in reply to f1rules

Sorry, but your intentions here aren't clear.

Do you have two mono signals on one stereo track, or are you talking about two separate mono tracks that should be stereo, and you want them as a single stereo track?

With the latter, open one file and copy it to the clipboard. Open the other file, and use Edit>Convert Sample Type to convert it to 'stereo' (really dual mono). Select just the side you want to replace, highlight it and hit Delete - this should leave your original file on one channel, and nothing on the other. Place the cursor at the start of the empty section and paste the clipboard contents here. Save the result. You now have a stereo file.

If you have a dual mono file and you want some stereo ambience on it, then have a look at SHEPPi. This does a remarkably good job of that on mono files!

There are several other ways of doing file combining - you could do it quite easily in Multitrack mode, and there are also some utilities around that will do it directly for you - although you could easily be forgiven for being completely unaware of them, because generally they are used for reorganising multi-channel Broadcast Wav files, and don't show up using a simple search term.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Nov 11, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to f1rules

f1rules wrote:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. To clarify - I have 20 mono tracks of L R audio pairs from an omf I imported. I want all the audio to be on 10 Stereo tracks to make it more manageable. In Pro Tools I just create 10 new stereo tracks, select all the audio across the 20 mono tracks and ctrl-drag it to the 10 stereo tracks. This is an hour long show with hundreds of edits. Takes half a second.

It sounds like this is not possible to do in Audition?

As it stands, no it won't do this in one hit. There's a similar issue (only the other way around) with Broadcast Wav poly files, and I think it's fair to say that all these issues need to be addressed, because none of them are actually that rare these days. At the end of the week sometime I'm going to itemise for the devs a number of things that I think Audition ought to be able to do in this general area, and I'll add yours as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points