Skip navigation
Juk3r
Currently Being Moderated

Video pixel lag

Nov 10, 2013 8:08 PM

Hello, my name is Oudom. I have took a video from Canon 5d mark III, full hd, 24 fps, but the  quality seem too bad. I mean the action inside my video is shaking (the camera is not shaking), its like pixel lag ? or something i dont know. I want my video get smoother. how can i do that ? plz someone help me to fix this problem. im noobie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 10, 2013 10:54 PM   in reply to Juk3r

I always convert footage from the Canon 5D to ProRes 4444 (or some other intermediate codec) before use in editing applications or AE, as I find the native files somewhat unreliable to work with.

Also make sure AE is not inappropriately assuming your footage is interlaced by checking the Interpret Footage dialog for each footage file.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 7:48 PM   in reply to Juk3r

there is only 1 thing i know, if i put hd 720p 60 fps the video will be very smooth but the 60 fps doesnt have full hd and if i put full hd 1080p 24/25 fps the actions inside my video will be unsmooth!!!

is it because of my camera settings or what ? because some people said This is default video quality of 5D mark III (unsmooth)  and I have to fix it in editing applications.

You can't have it both ways with that camera.  If you want smooth motion, shoot 720p60.  If you want full hd -- but I don't know why that would be very important -- shoot 1080p 24.

Which do you want smooth motion or a bigger image?  Pick one.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to Juk3r

Again I say, "Pick one".

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

The lower the frame rate the higher the likelihood that you will have juddering motion in panning shots or with objects moving through the shot. Any cinematographer worth his wages will know all about critical panning speeds. The strobbing effect can be so bad that it renders a shot un-watchable even when you are using a $500,000 Imax camera and 70mm film. It's just physics and a little thing that makes our eyes and brain work together called retinal retention.

If you always want smooth action, shoot at a high frame rate. 25 is slightly better than 24, 29.97 is a lot better than 24 and a lot easier to shoot. 60 is even better. 120 is smooth as butter but you get a different look to the motion for each frame because the higher the frame rate the lower the motion blur.

If you have judder in the shot and the timing is not critical you can eliminate or remove the juddering by speeding up or slowing down the shot. This will foul up audio sync but it will make the shot usable.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points