Skip navigation
Bertiesgirl
Currently Being Moderated

Help with Premiere Elements 12

Nov 11, 2013 1:10 AM

Hi I am really struggling with Adobe Premiere Elements 12 - I used the trial reasonably well, but when I changed to the full version things started going wrong - I removed it off my computer 3 times and redownloaded it, but I can't get it to work - I have used Premiere 3 for years with no problems and if my old computer hadn't died I would still be using it,I upload from a Sony mini dv camcorder through a firwire, I hope I don't have to change my camcorder too. I can see the upload through the little screen at the front - but it won't go to my timeline or save - I have contacted support twice to be told try again later when more technical people are there - I have been struggling for over a week now - getting nowhere - need help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2013 8:12 AM   in reply to Bertiesgirl

Bettiesgirl

What computer operating system are you running your Premiere Elements 12 on?

What are you specific issues with Premiere Elements 12?

a. Did you get it to install? And was the install to the default Local Disk C Location?

b. Slow opening, slow closing?

c. Editing performance issues. If so, what project preset and what are the properties of your source media?

Let us start here.

Definitely keep after the Adobe people since they probably have undocumented as well as documented remedies for the product that they created.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 3:54 PM   in reply to Bertiesgirl

Ronnie

Thanks for the follow up with the details of your situation.

So that you do not lose any time or your rights in any free Adobe help matter, I suggest that you follow up with Adobe tomorrow. It might have undocumented as well as documented information that will quickly resolve the issues.

Your contact with Adobe does not prohibit us from troubleshooting here.

The usual drill questions typically start with:

1. Do you have the latest video card driver version as per the web site of the manufacturer of the video card. Do you have more than one video card setup?

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer

3. Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges

Also, Premiere Elements 12 takes charge of setting the project preset in the new project dialog. So, the user is not forced to see the new project dialog in versions earlier than 11. You might want to assure the correct HDV project preset by:

1. Opening Premiere Elements 12, going to File Menu/New/Project and setting for PAL HDV HDV 1080i25. Before leaving the new project dialog, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on This Project".

2. Back in the Premere Elements 12 workspace, Add Media/HDV Camcorder if you are doing HDV data capture into the Premiere Elements 12 Capture Window.

Are you familiar with the Premiere Elements Capture Firewire details as per the following Adobe document

http://help.adobe.com/fr_FR/premiereelements/using/WS5CDA0F91-60F1-4b7 9-ABF6-E9E75F498DB2.html#WS2AF26FB5-4C63-4c46-9DB3-7249558F6528

Please review and then let us know the outcome. We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to Bertiesgirl

Ronnie,

As users to users we all go down the same Premiere Elements path. You are definitely not alone.

All here want to see you succeed.

Adobe may address all your questions, including the video card and its driver as part of its troubleshooting scheme. The video card and its driver may not be involved in your case, but they should be ruled in or out as factor.

If you go to the Device Manager/Display Adapter, you can see the name of the video card. Also, typically you will see that type of information in the computer's System Information. Once you know the name of your video card and its dating, you can go to the web site of the manufacturer of the card and check for latest version of the video card driver and compare it to what you are using..

The drill of video cards has interesting twists and turns. Typically, the user is encouraged to have the latest version of the driver. But, right now there is an issue seemingly specific to Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA video card/video card drivers where the fix for now is rolling back the driver.

Looking forward to your further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 12:22 PM   in reply to Bertiesgirl

Bertiesgirl wrote:

I used the trial reasonably well, but when I changed to the full version things started going wrong

In theory there should be no difference between the trial and full version other than the watermarking of the video. But as your experience seems to counter that you could try uninstalling your purchased version and reinstalling the trial version you originally downloaded to see if that makes any difference. Just enter the serial number from your purchased version into the trial.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 2:19 PM   in reply to Bertiesgirl

Bertiesgirl

Just a suggestion based on my own recent encounter with trying to troubleshoot Premiere Elements 12 Photoshop Elements 12 with a uninstall/reinstall. It may come to that, but I would put that off until after you contact with Adobe. The Adobe representative may suggest that as part of the troubleshooting that you do online with him or her. You want to avoid any unnecessary uninstalls and the potential for leftovers preventing you from reinstalling the product.

I am in that situation now with Premiere Elements12 and up to the Revo Professional to look for leftovers that were left behind after the uninstall and are proventing me from reinstalling Premiere Elements 12.

Let us see what Adobe comes up with.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to Bertiesgirl

Ronnie

Hold off on any more uninstalls and reinstalls for now. Keep after Adobe.

This what I would like you to do.

1. Go to Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks/

Look at the Captured Video and Captured Audio choices there. Where are they directed to on the hard drive? Look to the right of each there. How much free hard drive space is listed for the location where those files are? If you have a pile up of captured files, try and get them off the Local Disc C. Do you have any external hard drive (formatted NTFS, not FAT32) for this purpose?

2. Go to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0/ and look in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder and Media Cache Folder there for piles up. Get rid of them.

3. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database area. Hit the Clean button there is get rid of pile ups of conformed video files.

4. In a new Premiere Elements 12 project, go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project present to PAL HDV HDV 1080p25. You want a setting for 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, not 1920 x 1080 16:9. If you have been selecting the PALavchd-fullhd108I25, that is not right. That would be for the 1920 x 1080 16:9. Now use Add Media/HDV Camcorder and go through your HDV data capture firewire into the Premiere Elements 12 Capture Window.

5. If you continue to have problems with the HDV capture and Adobe has not resolved the issues, then we try this. Download and install the free HDV Split and do a HDV data capture firewire into it. This will give you split clips (.m2t) that you can import into Premiere Elements 12 PAL HDV HDV 1080p25 project.

http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

Another matter that we need to define, that being, are your issues confined to just the Capture firewire features of the program or do they extend into other video opportunities to file or disc?

Please review the above and let us see if we can get your program working for you.

Do not give up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 7:35 AM   in reply to Bertiesgirl

Ronnie

Just starting my day.

As for post 11. Either way, online download purchase or purchase of boxed to get disc, same possibilities for good and not so good. In my case, the tryouts of Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 gave no indications of problems, but I have had and still have major problems with version 12 on my computers. And, I intensionally purchased the boxed with discs.

The important thing to remember in troubleshooting is to keep an open mind in the search for the whys and how to fix. Let the details direct you.

If you have 372 GB of preview files specially in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder in the 12 Folder in Documents, delete those preview files. The worst case scenario is that you may have to render some Timelines in some of your projects. Every time you render a Timeline there are preview files generated (DV AVI SD project and MPEG2.mpg HD projects).

As for the Media Cache Folder in the same location, delete those files in that folder. The program will automatically generate new conformed audio files when needed.

As for conformed movie deletion, see Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Clean Button in the Media Cache Database section at that location. These conformed video files will also be automatically generated when needed.

Regarding Adobe and its Remote Troubleshooting...

Whether you do the troubleshooting yourself or have them do it remotely, there is always the possibility that in doing so unwanted changes will occur. On the plus side for Adobe is that it would be in a better position to back track on its troubleshooting and try something else as they correct the unwanted change.

Today try to see how far you can get with troubleshoot assist from Adobe.

Try the HDV Split. Many have had to resort to that your their HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements. Many not. This has been true going back to versions earlier than the current one.

Wishing you a good days with resoltuion of the issues.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Bertiesgirl

Ronnie

Sounds like progress. Good follow up with Adobe.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to Bertiesgirl

Ronnie

Sounds like major progress in spite of the disappointing twist and turns of events which were no fault of your own.

But, Adobe is strict with its money back returns...within 30 days of purchase. So, please look into that immediately if you have any hope of money back return.

Wishing you success with whatever your alternative video editing decisions are.

Thanks for the update.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2014 10:30 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I was trying different things and I went to tools to narration. I removed the mute audio before recording, then deleted the narration I previously did and then pressed undo, to bring it back and my audio returned on my video. Very strange but it worked. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to try to help me with this situation.I really appreciate it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2014 7:38 AM   in reply to Llamadude99

Llamadude99

Thanks for the update.

Later today I am going to try to get narration to cause the rest of the audio to fail. If I can, I will try what you said worked for you, that is,

I removed the mute audio before recording, then deleted the narration I previously did and then pressed undo, to bring it back and my audio returned on my video.

If this works, it may be the answer to this type of situation, and it will be a major contribution to the Premiere Elements community.

Congratulation on your success. Great job.

Best wishes to your daughter, her cousin, and you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points