Skip navigation
frootjooce
Currently Being Moderated

Subtitle Problems and a  Toggle Button

Nov 11, 2013 4:09 AM

Tags: #dvd #subtitles

I have two issues.  Firstly I have a dvd with subtitles and I have set the 'Disc' properties to subtitles 'off'  Despite this when I play the disc on a TV or in Windows Media Player on a computer the subtitles are 'on' and display.

Secondly, assuming there's an answer to the first issue; Is it possible to have one button that will toggle subtitles on AND off?

I have so far created a button on the main menu and gone to the 'specify link' window linked the button to its own menu and specified subtitles '1' Which I am assuming switches the subtitle track 1 'on' for all timelines in the DVD.

But is it possible to have that same button switch the subtitles 'off'.  Seems to me there's no option to have two states to a button - am I right??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to frootjooce

I have set the 'Disc' properties to subtitles 'off'  Despite this when I play the disc on a TV or in Windows Media Player on a computer the subtitles are 'on' and display.

That should work. Check to be sure that when the disk itself is selected, you do have subtitles set to "off" and not "no change."

Is it possible to have one button that will toggle subtitles on AND off?

I think that is a "no." The usual method is at least 2 buttons (on and off). When in the menu, you can show the setting by which button is selectede by default. But unless this is in a separate menu from buttons that call timelines, I would not use it.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WSbaf9cd7d26a2eabfe8074010 38582db29-7e8ca.html#WS1CE3EF35-C244-4819-AADD-D82547E5E04Ea

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to frootjooce

That looks correct.

I created a test DVD build to folder. Plays correctly in VLC player.

I can't burn a disk to test at present,but I still see no reason this does not work.

Anything special in how the first timeline is selected to play?

Does this work in Encore preview? (It should.) It should start with subtitles off; these is a toggle there, which will turn them on and off.

Sorry to ask - : these are subtitles, with a subtitle track and all...?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to frootjooce

Trying hard not to swear on the forum, but I've just found a button on the first sub menu with link set to turn subs on.  Needless to say because its in the first submenu where normally testing starts, and all the others are on 'no change' once its been clicked everything is 'on'

Yes, swearing is hard to resist, but this is ultimately good news: that problem is solved!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to frootjooce

On the toggle on off issue the Client has sent me a disc from another job authored in the US [see screenshot] this has one button and works fine.  So it is possible, just not in Encore I guess.

We don't know how that was done; it might be scripting. Yes, we'd have loved scripting in Encore.

While my answer is still "no," that for ordinary operations you can't do a single subs on/off button in Encore, a single button is POSSIBLE in Encore. It fakes it, and becomes complicated if it is on more than one menu. Basically, the one button is not really one, but two, one on each of two menus. So on Menu 1, we start with a default of OFF and have a button appearance showing that. When you push the button, it turns subs ON, and takes you to Menu 2, which has an identical button except that it appears so we know it is ON. When you click it, it turns sub OFF, and takes you to Menu 1.

I prefer two buttons on their own menu, so it doesn't bother me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points