Skip navigation
RainerSchwachsinn
Currently Being Moderated

ID CS5: How to include additional text into a table of contents and how to hide text from it?

Nov 11, 2013 2:03 PM

Tags: #table_of_content #captions #lists

I have the following problem:

1. I'd like to include additional Information in my table of contents which I don't want to appear in the text I refer to.

Example: I do have a picture with a caption saying:

picture 1: Blablabla.

And I want to have the source of the picture as additional information in the table of contents:

picture 1........Blablabla (source: thisandthat)........23

Still I don't want this additional content to disappear, as soon as I update the table of contents!

How can I achieve that?

2. And how can I have this the other way round?

Let's say I want the source in the caption, but not in the table of contents.

So the caption says:

picture1: Blablabla (source: thisandthat)

but the table of content says:

picture 1........Blablabla.....................23

I was trying to achieve this by two different praograph styles in the caption. One which would be listed, and one which wouldn't be listed, but this of course resulted in always having two paragraphs in the caption, which I'd like to avoid:

picture1: Blablabla

(source: thisandthat)

Any solution to this?

Best Regards,

Rainer Schwachsinn

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to RainerSchwachsinn

add a character style that has character color of None and apply it as a nested style (NOT Locally applied or it will not work) to the text you don't want to appear in your text.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 4:24 PM   in reply to RainerSchwachsinn

Sorry, missed the second part of the question. I think the only way to do that is to use invisible "dummy" text of some sort, and if you're going to do it for some entries, you might as will do it for all.

One of the easiest ways is to put the text you want inthe TOC into an anchored frame attached to the actual heading in the text (so it moves along with it). Use a unique paragraph style for this text, and include this style, not the one applied to the headings inthe text, to make the TOC. I usually use a character color of red to make it satnd oout so I don't forget it's there, and the position on the page isn't really critical. Select the anchored frame, open the Attributes panel and make it non-printing. You'll see it in editing mode, the TOC will pick it up (as will variables, if required) but it will disappear on output.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 4:32 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Actually, now that I think about it a bit more, there's really no reason you can't use a nested style in the same way to hide text in the TOC listings, as long as the trigger is present in the text (so you'd need to enter end nested character style here markers in the running text, if that's the only trigger that will work). In addition to a charracter color of none you might have to reduce the size of the"invisible" text to .1 pt, and maybe scale it to 1% as well so it uses nearly no space, but this would only work with relatively short hidden strings, and probably not at all if you want to use tab leaders because even invisible that text will occupy space on the line.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points