Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Saving as a small file without sacrificing quality?

Nov 11, 2013 3:02 PM

Tags: #photoshop #size #cs6 #file_size

Hello, I'm trying to set up a shop to sell prints of my artwork. The shop only allows 5MB or smaller images for photos. I'm trying to save my work as a file size at or below that, but i can't figure out a way to do it without sacrificing quality. because I'm trying to sell prints quality of the image has to be as best as it can be. I've tried a bunch of methods on how to keep file size down, but they all mess with the quality of the image. Is there a third party app that can help me with this? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Nov 11, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to amnv13

If you working on huge PSD files to develop you stuff you can always save out a Jpeg file to print from. A quality 10 jpeg file will print beautifully and be a small fraction of the size of your PSD or layered Tiff files.  Olny image that have large print size feet rather the inches that also have a high resolution will exceed 5MB in file size.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Nov 11, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to amnv13

You also don't have to flatten to save a flat jpeg. Photoshop Save as jped will do what is necessary save out a JPEG. Your open document will still be layered and you can save a layered file to preserve you work so you can continue to refine it in the future.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Nov 11, 2013 4:03 PM   in reply to amnv13

Sounds like you have a colour space problem.  If your images are in anything but sRGB, try changing to that colour space before saving as JPG.     I fell foul of this problem with camera club competion entries way back, thinking that the club's projector was badly calibrated because my images looked so flat.  I was saving out Adobe RGB images to JPG, so it was my fault and not the Club's.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points