Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creative Cloud program - questions

Nov 11, 2013 3:29 PM

Tags: #creative_cloud

I just found a new program on my desktop, called Creative Cloud. I did not ask for it to be installed, though I did update it just to see what its all about. I use CS6 occasionally, but not often, as its on my laptop and the text is too small to read without the windows magnifyer.

I never subscribed to CC so where has this program come from?

It takes a long time to start up on my low speed broadband line (1.4kb per second - best that British Telecom can provide). If I remove the program, or at the least stop it from auto starting when I log on, will my CS6 still work?

More importantly, if Iicence the single app version of Dreamweaver, does the CC version have readable text or options to enlarge it so that I can use it? I dare not free trial it as it may kill my existing system. Will the two run alongside each other?

Will it work with my CS6 Fireworks?

Can I run my CS6 on my desktop and laptop so long as I do not  use them at the same time, or must I deactivate the laptop prior to installing on the desktop?

Lots of questions, but I will be very grateful for answers.

Howard Walker

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2013 3:54 PM   in reply to whatalotofrubbish

Sounds to me like you had a Creative Cloud trial before you purchased CS6.  Does that sound right?

If your computer meets the min requirements, you can download and install CC alongside CS6.  You just can't open both apps at the same time.

CC Tech Specs

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/tech-specs.html

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to whatalotofrubbish

Nancy, I never tried CC because of the cost - certainly never installed a trial. The program just appeared on my desktop without asking me.

Howard

Howard,

software just doesn't appear on your system unless you downloaded & installed it.  You may not have tried CC.  But you may have tried DW CS6 before you purchased it.  And that download came from the Cloud.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 4:38 AM   in reply to whatalotofrubbish

whatalotofrubbish wrote:

I would not dream of storing my stuff on the cloud, as it could just disappear in a cloud of dust,

Although the Creative Cloud does allow you to store 20GB of files in the cloud, there is no obligation to do so. In fact, I have only a handful of files stored there.

Basically, the Creative Cloud is just a marketing name for the distribution system used by Adobe. All programs are downloaded to your computer, and reside physically on your hard disk. The same is true of all files. You create them and store them on your computer (or upload them to wherever you want).

I suspect that the Creative Cloud app was installed as an update to the Adobe Application Manager, which was used with earlier versions of Dreamweaver. If you have any questions about the Creative Cloud, there's a dedicated forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/creative_cloud.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 4:25 AM   in reply to whatalotofrubbish

Yes, the software stops working if you cancel your subscription, but any files that you have created with the software can still be used. For example, web pages and style sheets created by Dreamweaver are unaffected, as are JPEGs and GIFs created in Fireworks or Photoshop. However, you wouldn't be able to open PSD files or FLAs, although they could be sent to someone who still has an active subscription.

I know that not everybody likes the subscription model. Currently, Adobe gives you the choice: get a perpetual licence with CS6, or opt into the subscription model with Creative Cloud. As things stand, CS6 will get progressively out of date. So, if you want to keep up to date, you'll eventually have to switch to the Creative Cloud. On the other hand, Adobe might decide the subscription model was the wrong approach, and it could switch back to perpetual licences. However, judging from what I hear, that's highly unlikely in the foreseeable future.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points