Skip navigation
ToddTech
Currently Being Moderated

Opening 8.0 prel file in 12.0 asks where PSD files are?

Nov 11, 2013 3:40 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements_12

I just installed Elements 12 and I'm testing opening projects I created with my previous version 8.0.  when I open the .prel it prompts me fo the location of a bunch of PSD files (ie PAL_Showtime_Title.PSD, PAL_Showtime_Title_Element.PSD. topo_frame.tga)  I found the first 2 files as "png" files under C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0\Presets\Logos\Common and the last one under C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0\Presets\Textures\Common but when I point to it, it says "This file is not supported or the required CODEC is not installed".

How do I bring forward my old video projects into v12?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to ToddTech

ToddTech

It is always better to finish a project in the program in which it was created.

But, you should be able in many instances to open a Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project in Premiere Elements 12.

However....

The last one, topo_frame.tga, is easily explained. Premiere Elements 11 and 12 do not support .tga files. The .tga needs to be converted to .png for it to be supported in 11 and 12. But, that one is part of a Title Templates series and much has been written about that here and in my blog posts.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe11-tga-filespe80801-title-tem plates.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe11-title-templates-in-adobe-s tyles.html

If the missing media message "Where is the file.....?" cites a certain file, then you need to find the exact file not one that almost has the same name and file extension.

I suspect you ran into much of your problems because, after you saved/closed your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 projects, you moved or deleted the source media that went into those projects. Those media disconnect problems are best resolved using the "Where is the file...?" messages, but can also be done with the Replace Footage feature.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

So to answer your question

How do I bring forward my old video projects into v12?

1. Do not move the source media that went into Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 after you save/close those projects, use the Project Archiver before moving source media, or be prepared for a lot of media reconnecting.

2. Be aware of formats from 8.0/8.0.1 that are no longer supported in later versions, example, tga.

Please review and then let us know if you have further questions or need clarification on anything written.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points