Skip navigation
peterbennetts43
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,having diffulty having the background white, any pointers would be good, attached is a image

Nov 13, 2013 2:08 AM

CAS-1040.jpg

We also have a number of similar difficult backgrounds that need doing.

Regards Peter

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to peterbennetts43

Ouch. Once you're left with the subject matter you are going to have  problems. There is colour bleed in the image you posted (perhaps not so much if you have a high-res original) and the background colour is present in both the shadows and in the reflections of the white handles and cable - all of which is going to make the edges a tough call. And even then there is still going to be some of the colour left in the reflections - which will look odd against a white background.

The best results I've got so far is by placing a white fill layer above the image and then painting in black those areas of the imaage I want to show through. But those rough edges, shadows and reflections make for a messy result. You can get a feel for the problem by applying the 'Find Edges' filter - this shows how tricky it is to isolate the image from the background.

Is the final result going to be produced in colour? I ask because if it is for use in a B&W publication, then some of the colour reflection issues can be resolved by discarding the colour information (i.e. converting the image to greyscale).

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to nealeh

This is a quick & dirty 'quick selection' that better explains what I mean by colour in the reflections and shadows. With the background removed it is more obvious that the turquoise colour is present in the handles themselves.

1.jpg

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points