Skip navigation
stroth
Currently Being Moderated

In character dialog box; when I click on the "T" tool the leading shows 14.4pt.  Is there a way to m

Nov 13, 2013 9:01 AM

In character dialog box; when I click on the "T" tool the leading shows 14.4pt.  Is there a way to make the leading 100% scaled?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to stroth

Can you explain what you mean?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to stroth

You cannot attach to the reponse, you need to return to the web page and use the cameera icon to embed the image, like this:

CameraIcon.png

I'm guessing for the moment that you have 12 pt type and the leading is set to auto, but waht do you mean by "Is there a way to make the leading 100% scaled"?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to stroth

Oh, so you just want a whole number? You can enter any number you want in the leading field, or drop the menu and choose one. 14.4 is the Auto-leading default 120% of your (presumably default) 12-point font.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to stroth

Not sure what you mean.

It's "ok" in that it doesn't indicate a breakage of the software, (in fact, it's operating exactly as designed).

As for whether your leading is "ok" at the Autoleading default of 120%, that's a matter of opinion, and it may be fine for some fonts/sizes, and not as good for others. Those are typographical decisions that are yours to make.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to John Mensinger

"Auto leading" is governed by the "Auto leading" percentage in the Justification dialog. See http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30d2a505 1004d659b1c-7fe7a.html for a full discussion (the official Help page...).

It *appears* you want the leading set to 100% of your font size. That is *technically* not a problem, but there are not many fonts that look nice with this. Hence the "120%" default -- neither very good, nor extremely bad. I usually go with about 2 pt above the text point size; but it depends on the font and the font size.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to stroth

Yes. In the leading field that just indicates the leading is set to auto, and that's the value of the percentage set. If you change the point size, that value will change, but if you choose a fixed value the leading will not change with changes you make to the size of the text unless you change it yourself.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points