Skip navigation
VH_AM
Currently Being Moderated

Scaling Down-Pixelated JPEGS in Vector File

Nov 13, 2013 9:25 AM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #help #size #pdf #cs6

I have created a vector file in cs6. It includes vector paths that have large hi-res images that use clipping masks to make them the same shape. When I attempted to scale the size of the artwork down significantly all of the images became horribly pixelated. When exported to a Press Quality PDF, the issue remains. Could the clipping mask be causing the images to become distorted from scaling down? I've never had an issue with distortion when making large images smaller. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 12.21.40 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to VH_AM

Are those Photoshop EPS files with Clipping Paths?  You might be seeing the Preview image.  What if you created .psd's with transparent backgounds?  Thet Place in Illustrator at Full Resolution instead of an EPS Proxy which links to the EPS, but Places as a preview image.  Just my guess.  You're in better shape sizing the original and Placing it at 100%.  Oops. Just realized you are talking about JPEGs.  So, the clipping path is contructed in Illustrator and you are masking the JPEG?  Could still be a preview situation, have you tried printing the file?

Message was edited by: jdanek

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to VH_AM

It could be.  What are your PDF settings?  If it's lowest file size, then it's a low res version and will be pixelated.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to VH_AM

What is your Illustrator Raster Setting?  I understand what you are saying, typically scale-downs get finer, not rougher.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points